Ann, still reading Omnivore's Dilema?

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Dow Chemical Co. is facing headwinds in its ethylene business and is trying to offset the potential downside to its stock price by growing its non-cyclical operations in agriculture, Bear Stearns said in a note Tuesday, and initiated coverage on shares with a peer perform rating and a $44 price target. "The ethylene commodity cycle seems headed for the next trough with capacity expected to increase (around) 16% by 2010," the investment firm said, and that could mean declining margins, earnings and return on capital employed. Aiming to reduce cyclicality, Dow is building its market share in cheap feed stocks. Last week, Dow announced deals with Monsanto Co. to launch SmartStax corn seed.

Oh, goody!

Reply to
Steve

Oh goody is right.

Trying to raise the old open-pollinates is going to be nearly impossible. I do not want to eat this crap and I don' twant it cross-pollinating my food. I don't want my meat raised on this crap. And I don't want to support it by having it what petrofuel I do use.

Thanks for the *great* news, Mr. Sunshine

Pbbbbbttt Charlie

------------------------

Monsanto to Modify Eight Genes in Corn Seed

Sept. 14 (Bloomberg) -- Dow Chemical Co. and Monsanto Co. will cross-license technologies to create corn seeds with eight genetic modifications that improve resistance to insects and weed killers, topping products from rival DuPont Co.

The seeds may be available to growers by the end of the decade, Midland, Michigan-based Dow said today in a statement. The companies will pay each other royalties to license seeds and genetic technologies, St. Louis-based Monsanto said in a statement. Financial terms weren't disclosed.

Monsanto, the world's biggest seed maker, gains technology to offer eight gene modifications as DuPont boosts production of seeds with three improved traits. Dow Chief Executive Officer Andrew Liveris said the deal will make the company the third- biggest U.S. corn seed producer, up from fifth. Demand for modified seeds is growing over continued objections in Europe.

``The eight-stack is a game-changing technology,'' Liveris told analysts and investors in a conference call. ``The fact that Monsanto, which is the unquestioned leader in biotechnology, is partnering with Dow tells us that our research efforts are paying off.''

The agreement is worth hundreds of millions of dollars in profit to Dow over the next decade and could approach $1 billion as the seed segment grows, Liveris said.

Reply to
Charlie

Steve expounded:

Oh goody is right. I'm on Big Organic right now. I've heard two people say they 'tried' to read it but it was 'too dry'. I can't imagine - I find it fascinating. If only everyone would read it and understand what's going on, but it's not about Nascar or Brittany, so who cares?

Reply to
Ann

I'm sure someone knows why this sort of "infestation" is apparently not actionable. I mean, there _is_ precedent around damage done to your property by your neighbor's (fill in the blank). This is most certainly damage. Anyone know if this has been adjudicated?

I've searched FindLaw, but nada.

Reply to
Steve

Oh sure. And by the time a lawsuit against *them* would be resolved, grapes will be grown in Greenland again.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

I wasn't doing to target you, but I know you know that. So now you know that I know that you know.

Reply to
Steve

Yes, I know that you know that I knew that you know.

Now...ya know, when you look at know now, it looks kinda..... weird.

Whew...IR CornFused Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

I hereby certify under penalty of purgatory that I am authorized to act on behalf of The Worldwide Mega Omni Ginormus Corn and Petroleum Company Inc., LLC, Ltd., SA the owner of the trademark(s) in the work(s) identified above. I have a good faith belief that no permission has been granted to use CornFused, (our trademark), by The Worldwide Mega Omni Ginormus Corn and Petroleum Company Inc., LLC, Ltd., its agents, or the law. Especially the law, as we authored the law.

We hereby give notice of this unauthorized use of the trademark CornFused to you and request that you take expeditious action to remove or disable access to the trademark described above.

Please promptly change your post to comply with the requirements and let us know that you have done so or tell us your schedule for doing so, so that we can let the trademark holders know that no further action is necessary. This is not to say that we will not take action at some future time. All lot depends on our mood. Hand gestures will not be considered satisfactory actions.

Dewey, Cheatam, and Howe Esq.

Reply to
Steve

OMG...ROTFLMAO

I bow to you, sir. I got nothin'.

Cornfuzzled and Cornfed Stupid..... Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Ahhhh, my work here is done.

Reply to