Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

first tomatoes and other garden news
from the beefsteak plants. i picked about a dozen yesterday and had my first toasted tomato sandwich. the cherry tomatoes have three red-orange tomatoes on them. between two plants. that's just odd...
2
2

Re: ?? ginger (Zingiber officinale)
I haven't grown it myself but it is grown in Oz commercially in subtropical zones with warm humid days in summer. It is planted in spring and harvested between late summer to late autumn depending on...

Re: Dioeciious squash?
I didn't know that this happened. All the cucurbits I have grown were monoecious. Can you tell us what is happening?

Wish Me Luck
I have told the saga of how awful my spring / summer garden has been. (Prob ably too much too often) After I hurt my knee badly Memorial Day Weekend an d the weeds completely took over I pretty much...

Next year
The green beans get their own trellis or other support . I let them go over onto the tomato cages because they were making the corn that was supposed to support them fall over . This has adversely...
6
6

Bolting
Perhaps you people can help. Last couple of years, I plant, say, a 6-pack of lettuce or chard, and they right away bolt to seed and don't produce much in the way of leaf. Is it heat/light, water, or...
11
11

japanese beetles and wild grape vines
while out wandering the place the other day i noticed that the japanese beetles have absolutely shredded the wild grape vine leaves and are quite heavily infested in them, which is why i'll have to...
2
2

Salsa recipes ?
The roma tomatoes are starting to come off , and one thing I've wanted to try is making salsa . I'd appreciate some basic tips - I know I'll need cilantro , onions , peppers of some type and of course...
4
4

Pickles and such
Swore I wasn't going to make pickles this summer. Liar, liar, pants on fire. Made four quarts of quick sour pickles yesterday, straight from SETP. They're in the canning pantry now, waiting for the...

Don't get much better ...
Tonight's dinner included home-grown tomatoes from the garden on our BLT's , grilled slices of straight neck squash with garlic oil salt and pepper , and right now I'm eating a slice of blackberry...

Birds & Tomatoes
I put a bowl of water out there in the garden. Will that help?
13
13

ajo rojo garlic
a softneck garlic, from a warmer climate, Derald had some extra and winged it to me to give it a try. put it in with the rest of the garlic so the conditions were the same as the regular hard necked...

Drywall scraps
We're building a house , and I find myself with small pieces left over . Are these any good as a soil amendment ? Gypsum iis the main ingredient , and I don't know if it acidic or basic . I don't...
8
8

Girdled tomato stems
Tomato stems girdled near the ground, perhaps 1" in extent. Plant wilts. Roma and Scotia both affected. No detectable efflorescence of fungus aound the damaged area, no visible tiny tooth marks....
6
6

Silent Spring?
Without going out and actually counting them, we have roughly 50 fruit trees on our property. Mostly apples, some pears, a few peaches, a few sweet cherries, a couple of plum varieties and one apricot...
14
14