Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

This year most of my cucumber flowers are male.
This year most of my cucumber flowers are male. Can you explain that?
1
1

My first cherry Tomato!
Hi All, I got my first cherry tomato today! My wife's eyes lit up when she ate it. :-) I have a million more green ones to go! -T
7
7

How to you properly nurture a pepper?
Hi All, I picked up two Sandia pepper plants on sale. These are an heirloom Chimayo (New Mexico Red) pepper. Chimayo is the taste in an enchilada. And they are spicy. Not any of that milk toast gross...
16
16

first tomato worm
of the season. yesterday. Ma had already gone out and looked, but since i was working in the fenced gardens getting the garlic out i was right there. so i took a few moments to scan. only saw signs on...
10
10

Storing Potatoes
Does anyone have a good method for storing potatoes? Keeping them refrigera ted works, but we have limited refrigerator space. A few years back, we put them in old milk crates in the basement but they...
5
5

doing well
sunshine, not much rain, but overall the gardens are humming along. with six beehives in the neighboring field almost any patch of flowers we have are beeing harvested. the heat has been in the...
13
13

zuke question
Hi All, Two of my numerous zuke plants have very short stems and small crinkly leaves. They are not growing much either. There is no sign of squash bug activity. This happens to at least one of my...
15
15

Hot again
We went out into the garden and yard just at sunrise this morning. Got the yard mowed and weed whacked. Watered all the vegetables and fruit with a slow hose or the installed soaker system. Pear tree...
1
1

Fruit conversations
What did the blackberry say to my wife ? Preserve me ! So she did , and we got 9 half-pints of delicious jam from yesterday's pickin' .
4
4

Rain
Heavily overcast, lots of humidity, appears there might be some rain today, we hope. We're watering by hose and soakers daily, particularly the pear and kumquat trees, hoping for a good crop. A little...
13
13

And fencing ...
We'll see if the Hooved Rats of the Forest still get in and eat my field peas ... got one strand about 2 feet off the ground and one about 6" to try to keep the rabbits out . But the worst culprits...
8
8

They're back!
Hi All, When I went to water the children yesterday, I noticed some strange movement on one of my zukes. On investigation, it was about 10 huge , 1" squash bugs. This would be the overwinter phase...
1
1

Ping George: diabetic data on Chowder Peas and brown rice
Hi George, I compiled nutrition data on chowder peas and brown rice with drug free diabetes numbers in parenthesis. Chowder peas: 1 cup: calories: 200 KCal (~1600 KCal per day) carbs: 35.7 grams (15...
10
10

Problem reduced ...
Though maybe not eliminated . Trapped a 'possum night before last out in the garden , he (definitely male) has gone to his reward - hey , vultures and other scavengers gotta eat too ! I offered him to...
1
1

parts 1 and 2 done
invasive grasses dug up and removed from the large spot they were at and the other spot smothered. :) now i get to plant that area tomorrow morning before it rains. i hope it rains... this fall i'll...
3
3