Latest threads in Fruit and Vegetable Gardeningshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Pumpkins
I have Hundred Weight pumpkin seeds and intend to try and grow some whoppers with the kids this year. Does anyone have any tips on growing giant pumpkins they'd like to share?
28
28

expanded shale for clay soil
Has anyone used expanded sale to improve clay soil? I read of a study by Texas A&M which indicated it is a permanent solution to improving the air and drainage properties for gardening. Has anyone...
3
3

edible water chesnut and bamboo
hallo, i love my chinese bamboo shoots and water chesnuts. can i grow edible ones in a hot climate - hot summers, cold winters and i have lots of water nearby. sofar i am told that bamboo cant be...
2
2

seed starter mix
I am new to starting seeds so I am wondering if anyone in the forum has experience making their own seed starter mix, and if it has worked out better than buying a pre-mixed substance. I thought...
5
5

Homemade Insecticides - Tobaco
Hi I'm wondering if I could boil some tobaco in water and use the resulting solution to spray on vedge as an insecticde? If so, what are the ratios and will my vedge be ok to eat or will they become...
53
53

Seedlings
My seedlings have become very spindely. They are ready to start going to the green house for daily visits. My question is will they improve and become sturdy? I know they should be transplanted into...
7
7

Does gardening cost less then a store.
Does a garden pay for itself ? Or is it cheaper to go to the grocery store. how big you have to have to break even.
17
17

Citrus trees maybe dying after front?
I live in southern Utah, zone 7 or 8. Last spring I bought four dwarf citrus trees (Valencia orange, bearrs lime, eureka lemon, ruby red grapefruit) and kept them in their pots. They got hit by some...
1
1

Uh-oh
Big freeze in Mexico.
3
3

Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food
Contains a good search engine for finding farmer markets (USA only) .......................... 5.  Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food [Macromedia Flash Player] all of the talk about the demise of the...
2
2

Droughts, Floods and Food
Droughts, Floods and Food By PAUL KRUGMAN Published: February 6, 2011 We¹re in the midst of a global food crisis ? the second in three years. World food prices hit a record in January, driven by huge...
11
11

Have I killed my asparagus? (Absolute beginner question)
Hi there, Last year, I planted my first-ever asparagus crown. I planted it in a huge pot and it lived part of the time in a glass-walled back porch and part of the time in the garden. It did very...
3
3

Indoor plant lights
I was looking round for plant lamps. Ended up buying a Phillips plant and aquarium T8 tube. Been reading, but no really good info. I'm not growing a big crop, just seeds. I'm just trying to keep them...
14
14

Tech Tools: Recordkeeping for small farmers
or "Tech Tools: Recordkeeping for small farmers Diversified vegetable farms can have more than 90 different varieties of crops in often complex rotations and successions. Keeping track of it all in...

The trouble with Monsanto and GMO
The difference with GM food is that once the genie is out of the bottle, it will be difficult or impossible to stuff it back. If we stop using DDT and CFCs, nature may be able to undo most of the...