Yucky washing machine

I assumed a washing machine is pretty much self cleaning. Washing powder through it and a few rinses each cycle.
I've just discovered black mould in the folds of the rubber door seal and more around the back of the powder dispenser.
I've attacked it with Flash with bleach cleaning stuff and shifted most of what I can see (the gunge on the rubber door seal is proving stubborn). It's now on a hot wash to rinse it.
I'm now concerned with what I can't see. Is there anything I can run through the machine to clean up the internal bits?
Regards
We had a problem with a 'stale old clothes' smell from our machine. We tried bleach, vinegar, lemon juice, salt all manner of things to get rid of the smell - nothing!
Anyway I contacted Bosch who told me this is a mould that accumulates mainly due to lower washing temperatures. Anyhow, their advice is to put some biological washing powder (we used Ariel) and do a full cycle wash at the hottest temperature (we had a 90 deg setting). We had to do it twice to get rid of the smell and the advice is to do this once a month to keep it clear
Ron

Thanks for that. It's on a 90 at the moment and I'll give it a another go.

ISTM to be related to washing detergent. I use Persil Bio, 35C wash, and this has never happened to my machine. Only the fabric conditioner compartment ever shows any sign of mold.
Some other family members use non-Bio and less well known detergents on 40C wash in their machines, and have the problem. Worse was an eco powder, but as that was also leaving the clothes smelling like they did when they went in, it was obviously not working and chucked out (hardly eco!).
--
Andrew Gabriel
writes:

A good tip is a hot wash as mentioned. AAMOI I was getting flooding and found the 1 1/2" outlet to drain blocked up with crud so you could hardly put a pencil down it!
Colin
"Colin Jackson" <cojack6ATbtinternetDOTcom> wrote in message writes:

Just done the first wash after Flash cleaner and the empty hot wash and, allowing for my poor sense of smell, I think the clothes smell OK now.
So, a hot wash once a month from now on. I'm surprised someone doesn't sell washing machine cleaning juice.
writes:

Try Dr Beckmann's SERVICE IT Washing Machine Cleaner avalable in Sainsbury's and other supermarkets.. In a tall white box with a picture of a transparent washing machine on it. Michael
writes:

Thanks for that info. I'd had a look in Tesco and found nothing. Even though it smells OK after a scrub and two hot washes I was quite disgusted at what I found under the soap dispenser so I'll try and get some of that to give it a final going over.
writes:

Ran it through the machine and got some strange noises and an error message on the display. Started to undo the trap to remove whatever foreign object is jamming the pump and it is cunningly designed to allow whatever is in there to jam it half undone so you can't fully open or close it. I've now got a very wet kitchen floor.
I'm thinking it has done its job as it has freed up something that has presumably been stuck to the gunge inside the machine.
Tomorrow I get the screwdrivers out.

On 20 Oct, 18:12, "Colin Jackson" <cojack6ATbtinternetDOTcom> wrote:

Yes I've found that the outlet pipes from both washing machines and also dishwashers can get virtually blocked by a build up of crusty type residue over a period. I reckon that all these appliances need taking apart every few years and cleaning properly to clear everything.
On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 15:48:06 +0100, Periproct wrote:

Used to get this with Ecover (liquid, soap-based substances are about the worst) and didn't like doing the 'service wash' at 90C with detergent as it's wasteful. Changed to Bio-D liquid (just to try it as an alternative) and the machine doesn't get anywhere near as bad and doesn't smell. Seems to help if the door is left open most of the time.
--
Peter.
Periproct wrote:

Bung a box of washing soda in & do a boil wash - or as hot as you an get.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

NO. Get the wife to bung a box of washing soda in and do a boil wash. After all it is her machine.
Adam

Periproct wrote:

door. Oh yes - except when doing the washing. Wow, I'm glad I remembered that bit.
A L P

washing seems OK when dry, I'm a shade concerned with the smell when they come out of the machine wet. I'd wondered about washing soda and I reckon that's on the list along with Dr Beckmanns.