Wood flaking around knot in floorboard

I varnished the floorboards in one of the rooms in my house but in some places the wood around the knot is lifting and flaking away where a comuter chair runs over it.
The floorboards have been down for years but were covered up previously.
Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to glue the raggy edges down so I can revarnish the areas.
On 29/06/2015 10:21, John Benson wrote:

Probably nothing. Sand back to clean wood & start again.
Epoxy is probably the toughest thing to use - thin coating stuff, like West sell. It might be a bit brittle for that use though.
Andy
Once upon a time on usenet Vir Campestris wrote:

I've heard of this problem before and almost invariably the solution is to use a rug where the computer chair is. Very few if any timbers (yet alone finishes) can stand up to that sort of forces a loaded computer chair's castors can apply.
--
Shaun.

Should use casters with a soft surface (e.g. rubber) on hard floors. 10+ years ago when I bought a computer chair from IKEA, it included casters, but you had to select the packet of hard or soft casters, for carpet or hard floors respectively.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Once upon a time on usenet Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I think that the practice of offering a choice of castor types has ceased with any 'affordable' chairs - at least to the best of my knowledge. However you are right - hence the 'almost invariably' included in my comment.
--
Shaun.