Wickes copper push fit fittings

I want to install a shower using a copper pipe fed between a partition wall. My soldering skills are pretty hopeless, but I don’t want to rely on compression fittings. I was thinking of using Wickes copper push fit fittings. Are they reliable, and as easy to use as they sound?
Cheers
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 19:48:35 +0000, Dennis Becker

Avoid the Wickes ones, or buy one and try it on a piece of pipe.
Two reasons for this. They are extremely difficult to insert without considerable force. You have to mark the depth of insertion on the pipe to be certain it is right in.
And they are impossible to get apart again without even more force and the tool to use is not very good. You need to be able to grip the pipe firmly with both hands, and need access for this.
Add pictures here
βœ–
What about the plastic pipe and fittings. I fitted up a cold water supply for my garage, this fed the car wash and the washing machine. I have been told that plastic can also be used for a hot water supply, is this true. Joe

βœ–

It is true.
There are two sorts of plastic pipe. One for hot and cold taps/shower water and one for central heating systems (often called barrier pipe). So the pipe you used for the garage will be fine for a hot tap. Both are good to about 114 degrees c for a short period or about 94 deg continuous. The barrier pipe is special in that prevents oxygen intake (see below) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrier_pipe
Adam
Add pictures here
βœ–

I have used QPL barrier pipe from Toolstation for both my central heating and hot & cold domestic water in the kitchen. Just got the bathroom to do now. Plastic pipe is so much easier to work with than copper, though as someone else stated, the fittings are considerable bigger.
--
the_constructor

Add pictures here
βœ–

I would recommend Hepworth or Polyplumb connectors and use plasic pipe and inserts to match if you cannot solder.
Adam
Add pictures here
βœ–
Thanks guys. Very interesting.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Tried using solder-ring fittings instead of end-feed Dennis? Good polish of pipe ends and inside of fitting with wire wool, flux the pipes and inside of fitting, assemble, and heat evenly with blow torch until the solder rings appear right around the joints.
Only skill required is ability not to set fire to anything nearby! Give em a go on a spare bit of pipe and you'll be surprised how much easier they are than end-feed if you're a bit of soldering novice. Less bulky than push fit if space is tight too.
I've nothing against push-fit but I prefer to solder if a joint is going to be permanently out of sight anyway - e.g. in a wall. I stress - thats a personal preference.
Midge.

Add pictures here
βœ–
Midge wrote:

Thanks Midge. Have tried these. Looks dead easy when you see an expert do it, but I seem to end up with at least one pin hole leak, particularly if I have to solder two right-angle bends close together. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet, buy a packet, and start practising !!!
Cheers
Dennis
Add pictures here
βœ–
Dennis Becker wrote:

As Midge said, the answer to 100% reliable solder ring fittings is cleaning & flux. Clean the outside of the pipe and inside the fitting with wire wool (or a special brush for the fitting). Apply flux to outside of pipe & inside of fitting.
If you are meticulous about cleaning & flux you won't go wrong.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

It only needs a smear of flux onto the pipe and inside the fitting, too much and you may just have problems
--
the_constructor

Add pictures here
βœ–