TVR on communal central heating system

We live in a Block with a communal heating and hot water system. It has been suggested that residents at their own expense have TVR's fitted to their radiators to cut down on the communal heating bill. Some have previously replaced their radiators and have TVR's. To my very simple mind I'm not convinced that it will work.... but I will soon be corrected. At the moment if I have a valve full on or turn it down to barely on the radiators stay at the same heat. Derek

Reply to
Derek F

(cross-posted)

It seems to me if the radiator doesn't cool down the valve isn't off.

TRVs should cut down the costs - you won't get people having to open the windows to control heat.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

If everybody fits and correctly adjusts TRVs, it will cut down the heat used and the (presumably shared) heating bill.

However, it's a bit like global warming - it relies on *everybody* taking suitable counter-measures, or it doesn't work equitably.

If only *some* people fit TRVs, they will potentially reduce their own comfort levels whilst continuing to subsidise the high energy consumption of those who don't!

Reply to
Roger Mills

A very common misunderstanding is that a TRV is a *radiator* thermostat. It is not - it's a *room* thermostat.

The radiator will variously go hot/warm/cold, as the TRV maintains the

*room* temperature.

The big problem with communal heating systems is that people just throw the windows open when it gets too hot. With my home automation, the heating in that zone is switched off if an outside door or window is opened for 5 minutes or more.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

For some, fitting TRVs might increase comfort! I find I am uncomfortable in the majority of heated indoor locations. Home - well, most often 18 or lower. And quite comfortably, thank you.

Reply to
polygonum

When we moved in the valves were corroded and did not turn. We had them replaced when the new boilers were put in two years ago. When off the rads go cold but any on position gives out the ame heat.

That was the first thing we noticed when we moved here, most poeople just opened windows to cool rooms down. Derek

Reply to
Derek F

That's a smart move. Derek

Reply to
Derek F

Irrelevant, but in some council-run district heating schemes each dwelling has a device on the wall that measures the room temperature and this is used to calculate the bill for that dwelling. So the residents drape bags of frozen peas over the device.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

The big problem is they don't work very well. They are more influenced by the nearby radiator temperature than the room temperature. Unless you have one with a remote sensor.

Reply to
harryagain

Fortunately, at least for any of the decent ones I've used, that's completely untrue.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

There are devices which measure the flow rate and temperature drop between flow and return, to enable accurate billing for energy consumed. They are not cheap though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I don't like it too hot either - but SWMBO doesn't always agree! And I did say "potentially" reduce the comfort level.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I spotted that one before installation, so when the time came I fitted them on the return side of the radiators so that the sensor is horizontal and a tad further away from the heat source. Works very well.

Also to the OP remember to leave one radiator without a TRV so that some water can always flow through your system (although I guess this applies more to a single domestic installation.) The bathroom is the best option.

Reply to
Woody

Best place for a rad without a TRV is the same area as the room-stat.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Brilliant. Derek

Reply to
Derek F

The bathroom towel rail (no Rad there) works off the hot water system. When the new boiler was installed I was going to get new radiators installed. Only three out of eight contacted from the local Checkatrade directory wanted to come to quote. They scratched their heads and did not understand how they would do it. I took them next door to a neighbour who had previously replaced her rads replaced and had TVR's. They evidently understood then. By the way we have parquet flooring under the carpets if that makes any difference. Two did not want to do it. Silence from the third. Eventually an E-Mail to him produced a quote of over £3k for three radiators and another Grand if we wanted an additional one in the hall.I did not bother replying. Derek

Reply to
Derek F

Would bags of ice cubes not be cheaper:-)?

Reply to
ARW

You certainly did!

In my case it is partner who suffers far more if temperature is higher. I simply get warm/hot and slightly miserable - she gets severe pain.

Reply to
polygonum