tub and shower wall caulking

I have a question that my husbabnd and I have been trying to solve for 4 years now. we have a jacuzzi tub with a shower wall type backing surrounding it. It has a decent gap where the shower wall meets the tub and we have tried sooooo many different things to fix this. caulking only works for a short while and we have tried the 1 inch stripping tub surround with caulking. the shower wall has taken on some water and is now so ugly. Is there a good way to remedy this problem? Or does anyone know of a way to fix the whole thing? Thank you

------------------------------------- Slow Projects

Reply to
wamaconi

Maybe this is obvious, but nothing will bond to Silicone rubber including fresh silicone. You must remove all (ALL) the old stuff before using new.

Reply to
Chewbacca

As the other poster said, rip all of the old gunk out before you reseal. Also make sure that the tub is not moving, if it is you will lose the seal.

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder

If tub moves only a little bit, if you fill it fairly full of water when applying the sealant it means that the seal will be applied when the tub has settled at the half way point, so when empty it will be a bit high for the sealer and when full with you in as well a bit low. So minimising the max movement - ie hopefully keeping the sealant stretch below it's fail point. I also assume you are using a high modulus ie stretchy sealer not some crappy window frame sealant

Reply to
Chewbacca

Curses! I forgot to go into detail but somehow I doubt that the OP will be reading this. Errr, hmmm, there could be more than one person in the tub/bath. This could have an effect on the sealant. When I was younger me and these girls shared a tub and ....................

Mr Pounder

Reply to
Mr Pounder