Tile rant

Just thought I would come in here and let off some steam...

Why, oh why, does tile adhesive have to be several orders of magnitude stronger than the walls the tiles are fixed to ? I have just removed several layers of tiles from a kitchen and in the process much of the plaster has come off, right back to the bricks. This was sound hard plaster that was originally well bonded to the wall but even a bolster chisel refused to separate the tiles from it. In several areas where the walls were plasterboard the plaster skim plus much of the board has ended up in the skip, still attached to the tiles. Really, how strong does this stuff to be to simply hold tiles onto a wall ? Sigh...

Or is it a cunning plot to keep plasterers in business ?

Ahh...feel a bit better now..

Jo

Reply to
Jo

I have thought the same thing for years Jo. The adhesive makers probably go for overkill as they don't want tiles to fall off the wall, that would be bad for sales. The vast array of adhesives available is mind numbing, all claiming to do something different. I have fair success at removing tiles by using a thin stiff scraper and hammer, keeping the scraper flat with the walls.

ken

Reply to
Ken

Jo

If the tiles fell off the wall over time, then you would still be in here 'throwing a strop' as to why didn't the adhesive manufacturers make their product a bit stronger! LOL

I must admit, all I have ever used to remove wall tiles is something like a paint scraper, screwdriver or an old wood chisel. Just by 'pushing' these under the tile and levering usually 'pops' the tile (or bits of broken tile) off - even when swimming pool quality adhesive has been used - and then just scraping the old adhesive off the wall oh, and plenty of patience!

Never have I had to resort to a hammer and bolster to do this job - these can cause more trouble than they are worth!

Now plastic floor tiles are another matter! I've resorted to spades, shovels, heat, the 'normal' tools and lots of good old Anglo Saxon phrases over the years on some of these.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G

I have had pretty good success with a steam stripper - hold it over the tiles and it will soften the tile adhesive. It is a pretty slow process but it does keep the wall in good shape.

Andy

Reply to
magicman