Tar on concrete

Hope someone can help. Recently have our garage reroofed and althought the roofers did a good job they made a real mess inside the garage. The problem is that the concrete step from the garage into the kitchen has been covered in tar. I have tried to remove it using a scraper for the thick runs and petrol to remove what is left. Unfortunately this has left a black mess all over the step. What can I do now? I am quite happy painting the step (having been meaning to do that for some time) but am I right in thinking the paint won't adhere where the tar has been? Can I pretreat it or am I stuck with an unsightly step?

More likely it's bitumen; try applying flame from a paint stripper gun, and should melt. Claen up with paraffin, but take care with naked flame in garage; ideally have fire extinguisher handy.

As a first attempt I'd go back to the roofers and explain what they had done and ask if they could make good the tar spillage. If you haven't paid them already then hold back some money... say 10% until they make good the mess they've made. As 'professional' roofers they may know a few tricks of the trade to easily remove the tar.
Ash