Storage heaters

I have a storage heater with four elements. It won't heat up. I see one ele ment is burnt out. However, the elements appear to be wired in parallel - a s I would have expected - which begs the question why won't just the ones t hat are any good heat up? Is there something which stops them all heating i f just one fails?