Shower trays

Why are shower trays 760mm wide, I know you can get various sizes and shapes but my 'logic' says that a tray between the 700mm wide and the 800mm wide should be 750 not 760. Why has this size been selected? I am fitting a tray for a neighbour and their old tray (acrylic) was 750mm wide and it fits into a three sided alcove. The tray they have bought is a 760mm but actually measures 768mm!! I can chop out the wall on one side but the other side is one of those 'straw' walls I mentioned a few weeks ago on a different subject. The new tray (stone resin) has built in upstands so they need to be set in to allow the overlapping tiles to lay vertical so the door frame sits vertical aswell. The old tray was higher than the new one so there is some exposed straw, where the house builders did some chopping out when fitting the original tray. When I have chopped out some straw can anybody advise as to what I can cover the straw with to allow the tiles to stick? The original covering is a paper layer and a plaster skim, would plaster stick to the straw successfully or do I need to do something else first?
Cheers
John

760/25.4 = 29.92. So, call it 30".

Thanks for the input but that doesn't make sense as far as 700mm (27.55"), 800mm (31.5"), 900mm (35.43"), 1100mm (43.3") or 1200mm (47.24") are concerned. It would make more logical sense to be 750mm so there must be a reason for it, I just cannot think why, if the manufacturers had to make a mould for 760 why didn't they make it 750?
Cheers
Jiohn

Because the manufacturers are still trying to sell to people living in the dark ages and using imperial measurements.

Nitpick: they'll be using _English measurements_. Prince Albert's _Imperial_ measurements only aply to volume . Albert as part of a _decimalisation_ project introduced inter-alia the florin as a tenth of a pound and standardised the gallont as equivalent to ten pounds of water - this resulted in the pint being reclassified as twenty (fluid) ounces of water rather than the pint=pound of sixteen (fluid) ounces. Albert never changed the linear measurement system thus an English inch it is.
BTW: the 'other' question about 440ml ... ? that's 4/5 of an Imperial pint 16 fl oz = one English pint (popular amongst the inhabitants of the USA) :)
--

Brian

On 11 Jan,

16 fl ozs is 454ml A pint is 568ml. 440 and 550 are a dumbed down short measure of the real thing.
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Brian Sharrock wrote:

But it isn't Brian. 4/5th's of an Imperial Pint (568ml) is 454ml.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Coincidentally that also means 4/5 of a pint of fresh water weighs 1 pound.
Matt wrote:

From my schooldays "A pint of fresh water weighs a pound and a quarter"
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
John wrote:

I've always wondered why beer is sold in 440ml cans. 330ml makes sense - third(ish) of a litre, 500ml - half a litre, 568ml - a pint (tastes better to me), even 600 or 660ml has some kind of logic - but 440ml doesn't relate to anything.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

It's bang on 15 and a half fluid ounces. If this means anything is another question.
The Medway Handyman wrote:

The only thing that I can think of is so that they can sell you 500ml for the price of 440ml and announce that you are getting 13.5% extra free!
Most places that sell 440ml cans are more expensive than the shops that sell 500ml so there is some truth in my suggestion.
440ml is roughly 4/5 pint but who would only want 4/5 pint...
Steve
Steve wrote:

I think both have a historical logic:
760mm is the old standard size - other sizes used to be much rarer - and it's imperial 2'6" 440ml is standard 330ml with a third extra free - didn't 330ml used to be the standard, companies offered the third extra, then kept the larger size. It also works well in practice as it fits in an old pint glass with a over large head that you get from a can poured badly!
snipped-for-privacy@sheldononline.co.uk wrote:

I have a 900mm quadrant so it's all moot.
Mike

American pints being 16 fl ozs?
When the beverage manufacturer is Anheuser-Busch, one can understand why a smaller quantity would be advisable and why the serving temperature is asymptotic to zero.
Back onto the original question regarding the exposed straw. Does any body think that car body filler would do for making the surface suitable for tile adhesive. The area I am looking at is approx 800mm wide by about 100mm high and a couple of mm or so deep? The tiles to be fixed are about 330 mm high by 250 wide so there will be the majority of the tile stuck to the plaster skim, it will be the bottom third that will be over the straw and this third will be immediately above the shower tray, if you see what I mean.
Cheers
John
John wrote:

Spoilsport.
I can't immediately think of a reason why not. It should work well.
--
Malc

"AFB Mr Tracey."

I wouldnt trust it. Straw has got a lot of give in it and it would only take one foot hitting it to crack open the grouting at the very least. I'd put a horizontal batten as low as you can, digging out the straw if necessary, fixing the batten to something solid if possible and deeply into the straw if not, then tile ont that
Anna
--
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation

That probably depends on how big a hole you have chopped out and what condition the remainder is in. If it is a small hole just bung some grout into the hole, otherwise a layer of lightweight filler to form a smoothish surface would be a good starting point.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
John wrote:

Could it be that it is the same as a standard door width (i.e. 762mm)?

Plaster or render I would have thought.
--
Cheers,

John.