Servicing rather aged central heating

This is the second of what will probably be many questions for the newsgroup. We have just moved into a new to us, but very old, house - 1650 or so. This question is about what we should do to service the central heating system.
The house is quite large. It has modern-ish central heating - oil boiler (relatively new), copper pipework, panel radiators, a few thermostats. It seems to be working OK, but bleeding a radiator recently let out a lot of black water. I'm wondering what we might need to do in the way of flushing it out, fitting thermostats, balancing, and perhaps fitting more controls - at present there is no separate control of the hot water circuit.
Any thoughts? I'm certainly planning to do a good wash out and fit thermostats everywhere. Are new radiators more efficient? Should they be replaced? Should be wait a year and see how well we feel the system works next winter?
All comments gratefully received.
Keith

I would certainly flush out the system and add inhibitor to help prevent corrosion. As to zoning the system for seperate hot water and you can DIY plumbing then http://content.honeywell.com/uk/homes/systems.htm is a good place to start.
Adam