Service fuse

I have noticed after a visit from my electricity supplier - to fit a service switch - that their fuse has been changed from a 100Amp one to

60Amp, and labelled as such. Anyone have any idea why this was done?

I fear that, on occasions, this may well not be sufficient. I also notice that when fitting some types of showers - 8.5kW and above - that the fuseboard should be rated at *above* 60Amps. Any advice, comments?

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Probably because they found some component in the supply chain, such as your consumer unit or meter tails, were only rated 60A.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

When I moved into my present house last November, it had a key pre-payment meter fitted. I asked NPower to come and change it for a credit meter. The chap came on the appropriate day and changed it. He also said, quote "I have also changed the main service fuse from 100Amp to 60Amp". I questioned his reasoning for doing this and he told me that it was to do with the fuse carrier. Half open types have now only got to have a maximum

60Amp fuse in and fully closed carriers can have 100Amp fuse fitted. Now, whether he was being truthful or not I have no idea, but has it is he who does the job, I suspect he was right.
Reply to
the_constructor

My fuse carrier is the fully closed type - although I can't see why that alone should make any difference.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Probably someone else on here may be able to explain in greater detail.

Reply to
the_constructor