Service fuse

I have noticed after a visit from my electricity supplier - to fit a service switch - that their fuse has been changed from a 100Amp one to 60Amp, and labelled as such. Anyone have any idea why this was done?
I fear that, on occasions, this may well not be sufficient. I also notice that when fitting some types of showers - 8.5kW and above - that the fuseboard should be rated at *above* 60Amps. Any advice, comments?

Probably because they found some component in the supply chain, such as your consumer unit or meter tails, were only rated 60A.
--
Andrew Gabriel

When I moved into my present house last November, it had a key pre-payment meter fitted. I asked NPower to come and change it for a credit meter. The chap came on the appropriate day and changed it. He also said, quote "I have also changed the main service fuse from 100Amp to 60Amp". I questioned his reasoning for doing this and he told me that it was to do with the fuse carrier. Half open types have now only got to have a maximum 60Amp fuse in and fully closed carriers can have 100Amp fuse fitted. Now, whether he was being truthful or not I have no idea, but has it is he who does the job, I suspect he was right.
--
the_constructor

the_constructor wrote:

My fuse carrier is the fully closed type - although I can't see why that alone should make any difference.

Probably someone else on here may be able to explain in greater detail.
--
the_constructor