SDS drill grease

I have an sds drill which has a reservoir for grease. I have tried both B&Q & Homebase but none of them stock the grease for these drills.

Anyone know what type of grease to use & where I might get it?

Andy.

Reply to
handy-andy

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&howMany=15&searchText=sds+grease&x=0&y=0

Reply to
dom

Molybdenum sulphide grease, any motor factor or Halfords.

Reply to
Grunff

As it is used on car CV joints

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yep - I asked my local garage, and they gave me a handful of sachets. They come with CV joints, but they grease them with a gun, so they never use the supplied molybdenum disulphide grease sachets.

Note this is for applying to the back of the bits. I don't know if you use the same grease in the gearbox, which is what I think the OP is asking. My Metabo SDS gearbox can only be regreased by the manufacturer, so I've never needed to investigate.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Why an MS2 grease ? It seems unnecessary in this application, and it's filthy stuff. What's the benefit?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I think the reason it's specified for sds is the high shear strength. Probably also because it's readily available. But I have seen several manufacturers of sds drills specify it.

Reply to
Grunff

It also needs to be a rubber-friendly grease. I used the wrong type on drill bits to start with, and it perished the rubber nose of the chuck, which stopped it working properly. Metabo were very good and sent me a new SDS chuck for free, as apparently there should have been a tube of the right grease supplied with the drill, but it was missing. They also told me it had to be a molybdenum disulphide grease.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

=A3133.00/kg! Better off buying a 1kg tin of Molybdenum sulphide= grease for less than a tenner from the likes of Halfrauds.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Cheers guys, a trip to Halford's tomorrow for Molybdenum Sulphite grease.

Andy.

Reply to
handy-andy

Alternatively you can buy a small pot from Screwfix for about 25 quid, which comes with a free 6kg cheapo SDS drill! (or maybe theat's the other way round? Anyway, better than I got when I bought my Bosch drill!)

David

Reply to
Lobster