roof

Calling any roofing people :-)
I have a problem with my upstairs bedroom. Its about a metre in diameter, and its a damp patch. it is against the floo of the chimney breast. i have inspected upstairs in the loft, and found that the supporting roof beams for the tiles r wet slightly just under the felt. the breast itself seems ok. it is only wet on one side of the roof? and i can't get up 2 inspect the roof itself until i can borrow a cat ladder.. we still have a pot on the chimney and i was thinking that with the heavy rain fall we have had in are area, that it could be the water actually going in the chimney pot itself? the felt itself looks ok? i know the tiles are old ish? but look ok. they have a lot of moss also on them. the wetness is only 10 maybe 20mill on the supports? could anyone shed any light on this for me? i'm just hoping its not a full refit of a roof. like i said the front side of the roof is fine. its just the rear side which is shadowed also from the sun.. thanks for any advice kris

It sounds as though the flashing around the chimney may be leaking. You might not be able to tell without getting up there.
Nothing to do with this, but as a point of interest, why do you put a question mark after nearly every statement you make?
Rob Graham
i'll check that out thankyou
as for the question marks? its just my way of saying why? what's the reason r what's the question thanks for the reply. ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 21:43:45 +0100, "Rob graham"

Text equivalent of a rising inflection?

Must be!
Rob

A Strailian poster?
"Kris Dawson" wrote:

I had a similar problem, caused by crumbling mortar between ridge tiles. Rain water can track diagonally from the leaking point to the damp area of ceiling so it can be tricky identifying where the rain is coming in. A cowl would stop rainwater getting down the chimney and eliminate that as the cause. Otherwise it needs visual inspection of the tiles, flashing and chimney to find the cause. Some defects can be spotted through binoculars. If you intend going on the roof it would be wise to think through the consequences should you fall off. Have you made a will?
Thank you for your advice codswallop :-) i am going to borrow a cat ladder and look up at the breast and ridge tiles? i had a problem with them about 5 years ago? might just want re bedding and pointing i hope...