Repainting kitchen unit doors

I'm considering repainting my rather dark kitchen unit doors to brighten up my kitchen. They're a dark wood, quite heavily varnished and with a strong grain.
I'm planning on taking each door off its hinges, sanding and painting them, then remounting them once they've fully dried. Are there any particular precautions I should take when repainting them beyond lightly sanding them? And in addition (you can tell I'm no expert at this), do I need a particular type of paint?
Many thanks.
A friend had success with Ronseal Paint & Grain
Check out their website http://www.ronseal.com/prodsearch.asp #
--
regards
dave batter