Repainting kitchen unit doors

I'm considering repainting my rather dark kitchen unit doors to brighten up my kitchen. They're a dark wood, quite heavily varnished and with a strong grain.

I'm planning on taking each door off its hinges, sanding and painting them, then remounting them once they've fully dried. Are there any particular precautions I should take when repainting them beyond lightly sanding them? And in addition (you can tell I'm no expert at this), do I need a particular type of paint?

Many thanks.

Reply to
Bob C

A friend had success with Ronseal Paint & Grain

Check out their website

kitchenman