Programmable Room Thermostat...

Hi,
I currently have a Potterton PRT1 room thermostat and wish to change it out for a programmable type.
The existing one has a 3 connections (L, N, H) . Have presumed this is Live, Neutral & Heat.
Have looked at numerous thermostats on the market and all seem to have 2 connections (volt free contacts)
Would it be correct to assume that I need to use L & H ???
Any help would be gratefully received.
With thanks
Andy
I got mine from Screwfix it is a Hortmann Centaurstat 7 Saved a fortune in gas
--
regards
dave batter

Thermostats often have a pre-heater, or anticipator and this is what the neutral would be used for. With the programmable type which are usually battery operated, it just switches, as you say, a pair of volt free contacts. Some boilers actually require this, but you should be ok just using the L & H. in your current boiiler.

Thanks. Yes the existing one has a bunch of electronics enclosed even though its about 20 years old and thus the need for "power" supply (Live & Neutral) as there are no batteries fitted.

out
If it's programmable, how will you be able to "turn it up" when the weather girl tells you to? <g>
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

As Andy says there is a 'change' button so you can up/down the temperature setting but only for that session.
I have my heating controlled by the stat, heating on boiler controller is set to on.
When house is empty I have it set to 16C, keeps the chill off the house.
I have saved a lot of gas 'money' using the 4 time zones.
I also have my heating set up with a zone valve to each floor, with a programmable stat on each floor, zone valve on cylinder with stat, overnight I use electricity white meter to heat water, cheaper per BThU than gas.
--
regards
dave batter

Thanks guys - I did mean my query as a joke. <g>
I'll have to use capitals next time........
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK