Programmable Room Thermostat...

Hi,

I currently have a Potterton PRT1 room thermostat and wish to change it out for a programmable type.

The existing one has a 3 connections (L, N, H) . Have presumed this is Live, Neutral & Heat.

Have looked at numerous thermostats on the market and all seem to have 2 connections (volt free contacts)

Would it be correct to assume that I need to use L & H ???

Any help would be gratefully received.

With thanks

Andy

Reply to
Andy

I got mine from Screwfix it is a Hortmann Centaurstat 7 Saved a fortune in gas

Reply to
kitchenman

Thanks, I'll take a look at their range, but any advice about my connections?

Reply to
Andy

Reply to
Paul Saunders

Thanks. Yes the existing one has a bunch of electronics enclosed even though its about 20 years old and thus the need for "power" supply (Live & Neutral) as there are no batteries fitted.

Reply to
Andy

If it's programmable, how will you be able to "turn it up" when the weather girl tells you to?

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart

You simply set up the required temperatures for different times during the day. They are normally set up for night, morning, day and eve so tempretures can be set accordingly. Also, if it gets a bit nippy or hot you can overide the current setting (+/- degrees). At the end of the day, you can leave your boiler set on constant and let thermostat control the temp day and night.

Andy

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in message news:dib93c$n8q$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...

Reply to
Andy

As Andy says there is a 'change' button so you can up/down the temperature setting but only for that session.

I have my heating controlled by the stat, heating on boiler controller is set to on.

When house is empty I have it set to 16C, keeps the chill off the house.

I have saved a lot of gas 'money' using the 4 time zones.

I also have my heating set up with a zone valve to each floor, with a programmable stat on each floor, zone valve on cylinder with stat, overnight I use electricity white meter to heat water, cheaper per BThU than gas.

Reply to
kitchenman

Thanks guys - I did mean my query as a joke.

I'll have to use capitals next time........

Reply to
Malcolm Stewart