Plaster Skim Over Artex

Could anyone please advise? Is it OK to plaster skim over Artex that has been emulsioned with vinyl silk?
Many thanks. Len.
GKN wrote:

Yes,however if its in a kitchen your skimming? wash it down with detergent first.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

You would be advised before skimming, to use a wallpaper scraper and knock off any large peaks. I did mine that way following advice of a plasterer and the end results were great. -- the_constructor
Depends if you intend staying where you are [if this is your house] if the artex is stippled flatten it as much as you can.Then make sure the plasrerer man who is doing it is in no hurry.The trouble is when skimming small pieces of artex keep getting stuck in the skim. If you have a good electric sander use it.Then the biggest problem is the old paint,coat it liberally with UNI BOND or some other adhesive like it and hope the paint doesn't react. Given the choice i would overboard it ,but it's up to you.I have done two of these both ceilin gs and they held it ok.
*GED* wrote:

Some artex contains asbestos. Just a quick search of asbestos in artex:http://www.uktvstyle.co.uk/index.cfm/uktvstyle/messageBoard.thread/threadID/686 .
I've just dealt with a small area of Artex where I used some removal gel call X-Tex which softens it and allows you to attack it with scraper. Then finished it off with a finishing sander and then lining paper.
Not recommended for large areas though - it took ages and I began to wish I'd got a plasterer in!
As far as asbestos in artex is concerned, the cut-off date seems to be around 1980 - though I have seen feedback which suggests it can be present after that date as it was mixed locally.
As my house was built around that date, just to be on the safe side (with taking the stuff off), I had these guys test a sample for me. They were very efficient and it cost 20, which is nothing compared with what some of the scare-mongers might try and charge you.
http://www.asbestoswatchdog.co.uk/faqs.html http://www.asbestoswatchdog.co.uk/sampling.html
Midge.

artex:http://www.uktvstyle.co.uk/index.cfm/uktvstyle/messageBoard.thread/threadID/686 .