PIR in bathroom

I've been toying with the idea of replacing the lightswitch in the bathroom with a PIR sensor so I don't have to remember to turn the lights off.
Apart from sensors designed for burglar alarms the only one I've seen that comes close to what I had in mind is at Maplin. Trouble is, the blurb says it's not suitable for bathrooms, or for switching fluorescent lights (not entirely sure why)
Has anyone got any idea where I might find something along those lines?

Why not use a push button that slowly springs back giving you 'x' amount of time? either way, it would be a pain if you are in the bath or reading while doing something else and the light kept going off. Would'nt it ?
--
Vass

to comfortable to me. :-)
Try a timed switch that give you anything from 1 minute to, sometimes, over 360 minutes. All you do is press it in and it times out itself.
A low voltage PIR that works with an alarm system will work as long as it has the option of having Normally Open contacts instead the most common Normally Closed type. You can make a transformer power supply in a box along with a relay switch that operates on low voltage but switches high voltage.
Low voltage in a bathroom is allowed, and the relay acts like any other make and break switch which can be used with fluorescent lights.
OK so you sort this problem out and you don't have a problem with leaving the light on in the bathroom. What about the other rooms ?

There are a number of these IR switches, and certainly some of them work with fluorescent lamps. Look for one designed for outdoor use, which also requires a connection to the neutral (and hence doesn't power itself through the light). Other advantage is you can fit it high up at the ceiling (possible instead of your pull-cord switch), and they are somewhat more waterproof than the ones designed for indoor use.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Try the Screwfix catalogue.They have separate power so will work with Flourescent lights.
You CANNOT used push buttons switched etc in the bathroom, they must be put outside the door!
Cheers
--
brian
Use a low wattage fluorescent bulb. If it gets left on it won't cost so much. The real answer to your problem is to remember to turn the light off.
| I've been toying with the idea of replacing the lightswitch in the | bathroom with a PIR sensor so I don't have to remember to turn the | lights off. | | Apart from sensors designed for burglar alarms the only one I've seen | that comes close to what I had in mind is at Maplin. Trouble is, the | blurb says it's not suitable for bathrooms, or for switching | fluorescent lights (not entirely sure why) | | Has anyone got any idea where I might find something along those lines? |
drill a hole in the door & cover it with a decorative clear cover, maybe a bicycle reflector!
--
regards
dave batter

someting like this any good, lots of versions inc for fluorescent tubes
http://www.rabweb.com/products/occupancy/index.shtml
nik

how about an occupancy sensor
http://www.rabweb.com/productSearch/OCCEIL.shtml
works with fluoresecents - we have them in the loos at work
Nik

Thank goodness they don't call them "motion detectors" ;-)
--

Cheers

Derryck