bathroom lightswitch wiring

Hi

now i have knocked down 2 stud walls the wiring to the bathroom lightswitch is now in effect inside the bathroom, runs down the wall next to the new bathroom door. the switch remains on the outside of the bathroom. can i leave the switch wire where it is or does it have to run outside the bathroom. it is know where near water, the closest being some 10 foot away.

Mark

Reply to
Mark D Smith

lightswitch

I'm not sure of the regs about your wiring, but it's abit iffy to my way of thinking. I know the switch must be outside the bathroom so that you can't switch it on with wet hands etc.

But since the wiring is accessible, why not shorten it and fit a pull switch screwed to the ceiling? Much better all round IMHO.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

It sounds like you have surface mount wires running down the wall inside the bathroom, which then go through the wall to a light switch outside the bathroom. Is that right?

Provided the wires are of appropriate cable and adequately supported, they are fine. Many old houses have surface wiring.

You are no longer allowed to do anything other than replacement of wiring and fittings in places like bathrooms, Part P rules. You are not allowed to modify such wiring, say to re-route them.

Of course, had you re-routed the wires before knocking the walls down (so that they weren't in the bathroom at the time), that would have been fine..You could have, for example, replaced the existing switch and cable with a ceiling-mounted cord-pull switch (which happens to now be in your bathroom)..Are you sure you didn't ;) ?

If you do need to modify bathroom wiring, you need to either get an electrician whose company can self-certify to Part P, or the work needs to be notified to your local building control body:

"Work, including minor work, which is carried out in a special location as included in Table 2.(Replacement work is nonnotifiable, even when carried out in a kitchen or in a special location shown in Table 2.)

Table 2.

Locations containing a bath tub or shower basin Swimming pools or paddling pools Hot air saunas Electric floor or ceiling heating systems Garden lighting or power installations Solar photovoltaic (PV) power supply systems Small scale generators such as microCHP units Extra-low voltage lighting installations, other than pre-assembled, CE-marked lighting sets

So there..

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Have a look at

Or here in tinyurl form.
HTH

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yes

The cable looks ok to me. standard 1.5mm T&E in a plaster groove running up along side the door frame.

the current switch is on the door frame outside the bathroom. re-routing is a right hand bend to bring the switch on to the hall wall next to the door frame.

we did indeed do the changes before the walls came down.

later work i.e a shaver point and new lighting in the ceiling will be done by an electrician under part of the major building work. i just don't want to pay for a job i can easily do.

from the above table i read it as minor work and as such nonnotifiable.

Mark

Reply to
Mark D Smith