Oainting over wood stain?

I have an interior door that has a wood 'stain' applied to it (some years ago); can I sand and paint it with white gloss paint (after undercoating), or wouldn't gloss paint 'take' to it? TIA matty

I have just done that to my banisters without any problem.
--
Steve

Remove "nospam" from email address to reply to me personally