O T: Spreadsheet help

Page 1 of 3

Got a little problem trying to sort out a formula for a spreadsheet. Yes, some of you may think that I should use a different group, but all the computer groups are not as helpful as this group.
Can anyone help ?
C23 = 34
C27 = 0.6530
C31 = Total
Now the formula that I need is like this:
If (C23<670) Then Let C31 = (C23*C27)
I am trying to write a spreadsheet to work out the cost of my gas bill. New meter installed with reading of zero a couple of weeks ago.
upto 670 KWh gas is charged a 0.06530p per KWh after that it is charged at another price. I got the after bit worked out but beggered if I can sort the first bit.
Anyone wish to hazzard a guess at the formula ?
Kindest regards,
Jim
the_constructor wrote:

Hi
You don't say what to do if C23 is not less than 670. Assuming '0' for now:-
=IIF(c23<670,c23*c27,0)
IIF works like this:-
iif(something is true, put this value, otherwise put this value)
Steve

Using OpenOffice Spreadsheet prog comes up with err509 Steve
Kindest regards,
Jim
the_constructor wrote:

OpenOffice flavoured version:-
=IF(C23<670;C23*C27;0)

C32 is the cell which deals with KWh above 670, thus:
=(c23-670)*c29
Where c29=0.03557

Providing C23 >= 670 .... ;-)
-- Martin
the_constructor wrote:

I'll go one further and say that I have no idea whatsoever on how to use spreadsheets. I have Microsoft Excel as part of the Office suite but never used it - opened it once, scratched me 'ed, and shut it down again :o) So, if anyone would be considerate enough to write out a complete step-by-step idiots guide on how to do this from scratch, I would be eternally grateful.
Cheers,
Pete

Hi Pete,
I just did a google and came up with this for you:
http://www.rgu.ac.uk/files/ACF2EE7.pdf
and
(Amazon.com product link shortened)&y
Kindest regards,
Jim
the_constructor wrote:

(Amazon.com product link shortened)&y
Thanks Jim. I'll give the pdf a good coat of looking at but I don't know as I'm interested enough to buy a book - after all, I've managed 51 years without knowing how to use spreadsheets. It just seemed that working out gas and electric costs may be OK but I can't think of anything else I'd need to use a spreadsheet for.
Cheers mate and good luck in sorting it :o)
Pete Zahut wrote:

Excel - far and away best of MS's efforts IMO. I don't think that pdf will be too useful except as a reference - try to learn using an example as the basis - especially if you already use Word (many of the menu commands are similar).
Rob
Rob wrote:

I think =IF(B3<650;B3*B4) should get you started, where B3=consumption, B4=rate.
Pete Zahut wrote:

A DIY uses I find them particularly handy for is costing jobs. Just stick in a column of descriptions, another of quantities, another of prices. Then let it work out the total cost. Makes it very easy to tit about with costs and prices etc.
Example:
A B C D 1 Description Unit Price Qty Total 2 3 25kg Bag sand 2.50 3 *C3 4 Cement 3.90 1 *C4 5 6 7 8 9 Total Cost =sum(D3:D7)
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

I actually find Excel quite useful as a drawing tool.
--
Rod

Well, I use mine for:-
Keeping rainfall records, daily temperature records, my personal cashflow (keeps me solvent - more people should do this then they wouldn't get into deep debt), subscriptions from members of organisations/clubs, investments bought and sold, dividends paid, lottery handouts for the syndicate, a Sudoku framework, electricity bills, plus a whole lot of stuff re business. I'd have a problem to be without it.
Rob Graham
robgraham wrote:

Good for downloading online bank statements. I have 8 years I can fiddle about with. Search, filter by name, payment method etc. Certainly wouldn't want to be without that. Gives me the illusion I'm on top of things :-)

And I thought I led an interesting life ...
--
bumsnase

robgraham wrote:

This is interesting if you're into energy saving, logging fuel bills etc. Tells you by how much the temperature in your area deviated from the average so that you can "normalise" consumption and get a better idea of whether measures you may have taken are actually working.

I'm sure you've seen it but I thought the site deserved a plug anyway.
the_constructor wrote:

MIN(C23*C27,670*C27)

Using OpenOffice spreadsheet program show ERR508 for the above
the_constructor wrote:

Fine here using OO 3.0.1 on Ubuntu 9.04.