O T:- I have lost my hard drive

Page 2 of 2
If *you* had a real job, you would not have the time to waste making pointless and puerile posts.
PLONK!
On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 10:59:16 -0800, "Colonel Edmund J. Burke"

Have you ever heard the term don't feed the trolls?
Please, don't bother answering.
--
fred
FIVE TV's superbright logo - not the DOG's, it's bollocks

That's a logical impossibility.

Windows XP is so yesterday. LOL
On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 16:01:29 +0000, the_constructor wrote:

Are you sure that both drives have their master/slave settings right? Have a look at the bios screen to see how they are. Windows can have some strange rules when it gets to issuing drive letters.
--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info

I have been having a look at the drives. I did have them both setup correctly, ie Master & Slave. I did notice however that one drive is ATA100 and one is ATA133. Would this make a difference ?
Jim
the_constructor wrote:

It shouldn't. They'll just both work at the lower speed if they're on the same controller channel.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

On 30/01/2011 21:13, the_constructor wrote:

I'm with Mick. Look in the BIOS settings first. It's quite possible that one of the drives is turned off in the BIOS. Try looking in the BIOS when only one drive is connected.
I've never tried mixing different speed drives. Couldn't you put them on different connectors?
BTW I suspect you could get bigger drives by asking nicely on freecycle/freegle.
Andy
wrote in message

I am the Group Owner of an Independant Local Group and that is where the parts for the construction came from.
In Bios, both drives are seen. In Device Manager both drives are seen. In Disc Cleanup only the partioned C & D drive are seen.
There has to be an answer somewhere.
Jim
On 30/01/2011 22:12, the_constructor wrote:

Have you looked in Disc Manager as asked at the start of this thread?
Start - Run - Type 'diskmgmt.msc' ( without the quotes )into the box and hit enter.
--
Adrian C

My thanks to everyone for their advice. I now have the new drive working. I never knew about "diskmgmt.msc". This command worked a treat. I have been building computers now for about 5 years from parts donated and have never come accross this problem before. I wonder if it is something to do with the computer itself. It is a TIME computer with a KM400 motherboard. Thanks again for the invaluable help. JIm
On 31/01/2011 04:22, the_constructor wrote:

You can also get to it by right clicking on my computer and selecting "Manage" - it will be one of the later entries in the list of tools.

The early mounting of drive partitions can be done by the BIOS, but different ones have different capabilities. Many only recognise DOS style capabilities (i.e. only one primary partition, and then an extended partition with as many logical drives as you want etc). Windows (from 2K onwards) however is far more capable in that respect, and can handle lots of drive arrangements that the BIOS can't hack, like multiple primary partitions on the same drive, drives without drive letters, and drives grafted into the directory structure of other drives (*nix style) etc.
--
Cheers,

John.

the_constructor wrote:

It's not new - in the DOS days you would have used FDISK and FORMAT. In general, to install a hard drive under Windows (or any OS, really), you need to do three things: Physically install and connect the drive, including setting up the BIOS if needed. Partition the drive. Format the new partition.
If you have a drive that's already been partitioned and formatted, then you may be able to skip the last two steps - but if it's completely blank, or the file system is inappropriate for the system you're adding it to, then you'll need to do them.
Mike
the_constructor wrote:

Right click on 'My Computer' select 'Manage' in the ensuing window, click on 'Disk management' which is a sub heading of 'Storage' you can set up your slave drive from there
-