Number of downlighters?

I want to replace a 100w ceiling bulb in an ensuite with 50w downlighters. Should 3 downlighters give about the same amount of light, or are they very inefficient? Is there a rule of thumb method for calculating how many would normally be used for a given floor area - in this case, 3sq metres? Grateful for any advice.
Cheers

They are _very_ inefficient. It's not the lamps themselves, but that you are largely lighting the room by bouncing light off the floor. I would strongly suggest you rethink your lighting design. There's also the issue that you'll be punching holes in the ceiling, which can let moisture and fire through.

--
Andrew Gabriel