Name that gravel..

Hi All,
Whilst on the flat garage roof last week I noticed that the gravel was getting a bit thin in places - I've looked in Wicks but everything there was way too big. The stones are about 5mm and light grey. I really dont need a lot, a couple of 25Kgs bag would have done.
Before I go into the builders merchants and walk out with a bucket of steam and a bubble for spirit level - does this stuff have a name?
TIA
Lard
LardMan wrote:

Probably pea gravel at that size, and colour match is down to your eyesight but the grey colour may be termed as blue.
http://www.finlaysstone.com.au/landscaping.html Might be a pic here (this site is (probably) Australian but should give names/pictures etc). If you don't mind feeling put down by the workmen in the builders merchants you could go armed with the piccie and ask what there version is called, but I think "5mm pea gravel in a sort of grey colour" will cover it
--
yours S

I`m sure its limestone chipping for flat roofs. Its more to reflect the light and heat off the roof.
Andy

That'll be the stuff - Iit does look like limestone and bubbles slightly in vinegar.
So 5mm Limestone pea gravel/chippings it is then.
TA
Lard.
LardMan wrote:

Did you actually get down and look at the gravel or did it appear grey from the top of the garage . Pea gravel is actualy multicoloured but from a distance all the colours appear to merge and the overall result is grey
--
yours S

I grabbed a handful while I was up there - worst case I was going to take it with me.
Lard

sand/gravel suppliers. Then you can compare it directly. also I would measure up first and go armed with the amount required, in cu mtrs, they probably sell it by the tonne, but will be able to convert for you.
Steve
LardMan wrote:

the roof of the garage that you had looked down at the drive and noticed it was sparse in spots didn't realise that it was GRAVEL ON THE ROOF that you were talking about. Mmm maybe that Australian (?) web site will give you ideas on what it should be called
--
yours S

Just nip down to any roofing supplier and ask for solar reflecting chippings. You can buy then by the bag or in bulk.
ken