Mains or low voltage downlighters

We are about to make some changes to our kitchen which include putting in downlighters. I'm about to order the downlighters from Screwfix and I cannot work out whether to use mains of low voltage downlighters.

In other parts of the house we have used low voltage downlighters. On the face of it mains voltage down lighters look about the same and have the advantages of not having the cost of a transformer and one less part (transformer), to go wrong.

I'm sure there are some opinions from the group as to which would be better for a kitchen.

Also: Screwfix now sell fire hoods for downlighters. Are these necessary for a kitchen ceiling. I don't think the ceiling is fire rated as it is single thickness ordinary plasterboard.

Reply to
Jerry L

go with low voltage the bulbs blow constantly with mains , there a pain in the arse!

Reply to
Dontwalk

Reply to
Paul Saunders

Fire hoods are needed on a fire rated ceiling (eg on a 3 storey house or a garage ceiling when here is a room above the garage).

As for the lights. 12v out performs 230v in the quality of light (ie whiter) and for how long they last.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Can't agree with that. I've got both, the 12v is typically only 20watts, the

230v is 50w and therefore brighter. The whiteness of the light depends on the temperature of burn and other factors, so it is possible to get a whiter light with the 12v but it's unlikely to be actually brighter. 12v is safer for bathrooms though.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB