main stopcock leaking

The main stopcock just inside our property is leaking, the pipe from the stopcock to go outside, runs straight down and into the floor. How do we go on about replacing it? Can we turn off the water in the street to our house, or do we need the water board to do it? How do you find out where the stopcock outside the property is? Any help appreciated. thanks Stuart

You can turn it off if you've got the tool for it, and if it will turn off. You may find as we did that it is a rusty lump. In this case do *NOT* touch it. If it breaks off you will have to pay for call out and for its replacement, not to mention flooding the street. If you can't turn it off easily call your water company. They will change it for free. At the same time they will install the fitting for a meter. They will also give you a plastic 10mm Allen key which is the modern tool for turning it off, at least that's what we've got.

It should be just outside your property under something like a small iron trap. If you live in a terrace or a block of flats there may be one for the lot, in which case you may endear yourself to all your neighbours by cutting their water off. It may be diplomatic to warn them first.
HTH Steve
Don't recommend asking for Water metre unless you live alone... Couple of kids and your water bills will soar.
I had same problem with this and had to buy Tool to turn water on and off (about 20 but worth it for any future disasters). Water board will turn your water on and off but you have to wait for them and they can take a few days...
Better to locate your grid outside and turn off here yourself.
Is the leak on the pipe from the floor ? This is a bugger to replace.
If inside the house then not so bad.
Make sure you know if the pipe is metric or Imperial when fitting new pipe/Stock cock depending on age of the property.
My pipe coming into the house was imperial so had to buy convertor to bring it down to Metric.
Don't recommend asking for Water metre unless you live alone... Couple of kids and your water bills will soar.
Are you sure?
I know several people with kids and cars they wash every other day who pay less than me for their water using a water meter than I do. My water meter will soon be installed.
Adam
Great news,, Let me know your bills at the end of the Year...
My parents seem to pay much more than we do. 3 Kids lots of Baths and Showers....
Mine currently around 300 per annum..
Great news,, Let me know your bills at the end of the Year...
My parents seem to pay much more than we do. 3 Kids lots of Baths and Showers....
Mine currently around 300 per annum..
ISTR hearing that there's a formula involving the no of bedrooms and the no of people in the house, ie if one is greater than the other then you'll be better off with a meter. Can't remember which way round it is though, sorry.
Steve

Or indeed 4 semis. I turned my water off in the street and turned 4 houses off not just the two I was expecting.
The water co will normally replace a dodgy outside stoptap for free.
Adam
Many thanks to you both for your comments. It will help a great deal. Thanks Stuart

kind of leak you have. More information would help.
When you say your stopcock is leaking, do you mean that when you turn it off as far as it will go, some water still flows through? Or do you mean that some water is dripping out - if so, where is it dripping from? Is it dripping from around the spindle of the handle? Or from where the stopcock joins the connecting pipework? Is this joint one that is soldered, or has it a large nut at the joint (a compression fitting)?
Sal.