Landlord Certificates ?

Page 2 of 2
On 20/01/2012 22:24 the_constructor wrote:

If you're new to letting, http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/successful_landlording.htm may be useful. The forum there will get you answers to most 'landlording' questions.

use on-line only agents whose fees are much lower than the big high street companies.
On 22/01/2012 13:10 Wesley wrote:

I only use an agent to find and check-out a tenant. Though even that isn't guaranteed to provide an acceptable outcome!
Paying an agent to manage is, in my view, a waste of money and removes you from (the minimal) contact with the tenant that can be 'useful'.

On 22/01/2012 13:54, F wrote:

Is that not just for "tenant-find" services though? You really need to have someone 'on the ground' to liaise with tenants.

No, indeed: horror stories abound of agents who haven't properly checked references and credit checks, and then have the nerve to bleat about the Data Protection Act when the landlord quite rightly demands to see the original paperwork relating to a subsequently defaulting tenant. Me - I'd much rather DIY; eg I can take whatever steps I deem necessary to verify that the employer /landlord sdetails provided by the applicant are genuine: you can bet your socks that most agents won't bother with that.
David