Is this right or total tosh???

Page 1 of 2

My sister has just had central heating put in her (council) house. She has a very odd shaped kichen and and enquired whereabouts the kitchen radiator would be. The 'fitter' said she couldn't have a radiator in there as legislation says all "newly fitted" radiators (not replacements) must be hung on an outside wall! So he put one of those fan heater/air conditioning units above the outside door. Is this right or total bo****cks as I have never heard this!
Cheers
John
John wrote:

Hmmm! if thats the case then all new and old rads must fall into that criteria. :-)
-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Regards
Micky Leeds

periphery wall, but do not fix rad on any face of an internal partition wall!

If you read all the advice on central heating from official documents you will find that you are advised to have radiators not under windows but positioned on inside walls including partition walls. I have built a new house which has followed these rules and I am very satisfied with the results I suggest your sister should write officially to the Council complaining about this. Blair

I had always thought that fitting a radiator on an opposite wall to a window increased the draft in a room, as the cold air fell off the window and was helped upwards by the radiator opposite, so it was a "good" thing to place it under a window - although that seems a little odd as well as the warm air is then trying to warm a cold window and some goes straight out through the glass....
Paging Ed Sirett ........

You have it right. The wall stat could be set right, but you may have cold feet.

Yep. You loose something for comfort.

Blair wrote:

window allowed the draught from the window to circulate the heat into the room.
For years ever since, curtaining and open windows have cost the householder hundreds of pounds in wasted heat.
Just having an heater on an outside wall is inviting direct heat loss from the back of the rad to the outside wall without placing it under a thin, leaking glass panel. Easy to see why the fitter was working for the council. No one else would have him.

Hmmm..I read somewhere that having a radiator under the window improves matters as it creates an 'air curtain' of convected air in front of the window.

Place the curtains behind the rad when closed.

Place reflector foil behind the rad.
Regardless of where the rad is in the room you are going to lose heat through the outside wall.
sponix
sponix wrote:

If the room is being heated the laws of thermodynamics indicate it will also be losing heat. However if the radiator is situated on an internal wall the heat loss will occur after it has radiated, conducted and convected it through the building's internals.
So when a radiator is fitted to an outside wall under a window it will lose no less heat than if placed elsewhere?
Just how dense is the wall? What difference might that make? And are you called Sponix because the thing you use for a brain belongs in your bathroom?
On 27 Dec 2005 16:06:05 -0800, Weatherlawyer wrote:

It will lose more as the local area - the window and outside wall - is at a higer temperature in order to get the room hot.

sponix wrote:

Both nice ideas, but you need the rad to be stood off the wall a decent amount to do either. In the lounge we have to bundle the curtain up on the window sill or cover the rad and in the bedroom we can't even do that - the sill's too shallow. This isn't the 1st house I've lived in where that's the case.

You'll lose a lot less though - the rad heats the inside of the wall (feel it!) and so the temperature gradient is much greater than across a wall at room temp.
Chris
--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk
Weatherlawyer wrote:

Isn't it also a case of trying to keep as much usable space in the room? You're not likely to place any furniture or AV equipment up against the window so best place for a radiator.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I reckon the main reason that radiators are usually under windows is that that's often the only bit of wall that doesn't have beds, doors, wardrobes, tellys etc in the way.
--
Roland Butter :- There\'s nothing like a knob of butter.

And don't forget, sometimes the fitter puts it where it is less agro for him.
ken
On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 18:03:48 -0000, "shazzbat"

That is very true..as the council are paying I don't see that the OPs sister has much say in how the rads are fitted.
sponix

Except that the fitter said it was 'against the law', which is a bit naughty, and grounds for complaint.
Bob Eager wrote:

Yep! who knows I mean a few of rads gets a lot of money if no one is non the wiser. ;-)
-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

told a fib, big deal. I would accept that Sunday was Tuesday if it meant I was getting my central heating installed for free.
PammyT wrote:

So how would you feel if you owned you're house and decided to get CH fitted (you're money paying for it),knowing that the rads where paid for by the council. :-)
-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite