Is my gas meter electronic?

My gas meter was replaced about a year ago and I assumed it would have been of the electronic type that could be read from outside the meter box. However, my meter is in a locked external cupboard and whenever the meter reader comes he always has to get access to read the meter. Do the electronic meters still need a visual check - in which case what use are they - or is it more likely that I don't have an electronic meter?
On 9 Jan 2006 07:52:26 -0800, clangers snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
| My gas meter was replaced about a year ago and I assumed it would have | been of the electronic type that could be read from outside the meter | box. However, my meter is in a locked external cupboard and whenever | the meter reader comes he always has to get access to read the meter. | Do the electronic meters still need a visual check - in which case what | use are they - or is it more likely that I don't have an electronic | meter?
The keys to the ones I have seen are very simple triangular things. Not difficult to make. My mother in law asked for one and got it given by the then Gas Board. -- Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> 17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net For Yorkshire Dialect go to www.hyphenologist.co.uk/songs/
Dave Fawthrop wrote:

The meter readers have these. The OP is saying the cupboard (he doesn't say meter box) is *locked*, ie., only he has the key.
MBQ
although remote meter reading was looked into it was decided not to follow that road meter readers need to be able to access the meters for safety checks and also to check you are not fiddling the supply i come across on average 6 meters a day that are leaking gas to a explosive rate and most of the time the occupier is unaware of the problem due to the fact that they have just got used to the smell it is also a legal requirement for the meters to be checked

clangers snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

The whole point of an external meter is for it to be read with occupant either in or out, have a word with your supplier and demand you not being disturbed for this purpose.
-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

The whole point of the post is that the cupboard is *locked*. The supplier will simply tell him not to lock the cupboard. The meter readers all have the neccessey triangular keys for normal meter boxes.
MBQ
On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 07:52:26 -0800, clangers_snout wrote:

AFAIK they are not installing the small gas meters (E6 type which _operate_ using electronics), AFAIK it is because they were too inaccurate in favour of the customter.
Many of the most recently installed meters have an electronic transponder on them. This can read the meter from a van driving down the road.