Help Please - Consumer Unit Argument

Been having an argument with a friend just lately over consumer units, or rather the placing fuses, yes I know modern day it's circuit breakers but principal is the same, within.

I was always told that next to the main switch, you start with the lower current, lighting circuits (6A) building to the larger Shower/Cooker circuits (32A) being farthest away. This is so that if the lights went out, you would be able to find lighting fuse in the dark.

Friends says higher current first next to switch.

Is there a rule for this or is it just personal preference.

Reply to
the_constructor

Thus spaketh the_constructor:

On my unit, I have the lowest value next to the switch with the value getting higher, however there are two empty spaces before the first 'fuse', so if other circuits were added this would no longer be the case.

Reply to
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Most electricians start with the highest rated circuits next to the main switch (or RCD if a split load box).

Ask on the uk.d-i-y newsgroup if your server allows it. I know it has been mentioned there before.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Hi apologies for blank post (hit wrong button) In answer to your question the larger raters fuses/breakers should be positioned nearest to the incomming supply ie the switch/elcb. The logic behind this is simple volts drop. the more load you take the greater the volts drop along the conductor (ohms law) Even though the busbar is copper it still has a resistance so (in theory at least) it is better to position the higher loads as close to the incommer as possible.

Having said that most early instalations only have 6 or 10mm tails feeding the board so volts drop becomes a laugh when ppl have 9kw showers .

No doupt this will stir up a hornets nest of replies but the answer is straight from the early MEM consumer unit guide.

HTH

CJ

Reply to
cj