Hardboard under Vinyl Flooring

Hi,
Some time ago we had vinyl flooring laid through our hallway.
It was recommended to us by the flooring contractor that we should have hardboard laid first over the floorboards before the vinyl was glued down on to it. They were going to charge roughly 100 to do that, so we thought we'd do it ourselves. The sheets we laid were about 4 foot by 3 foot, so there were a few joints, although they were flush with each other with no visible 'steps' between boards.
However since then very slight 'creasing' has appeared where the hardboard joints are. It's hardly noticeable except in certain lighting conditions.
Anyway, we're now thinking of having the conservatory and kitchen/diner floor covered in vinyl in the same way, and I was wondering if there is a knack to laying the hardboard sheets so that the joints don't eventually appear (even using larger sheets this time there'd still be a few joints).
Also the conservatory floor is concrete, so how would I go about fixing hardboard to this?
Thanks in advance, Tony.

Uhm, I thought the reason for putting hardboard down over floorboards was that the gaps between the floorboards would show through otherwise. You don't have any gaps in a concrete floor so it won't be a problem.
Mr F.
snipped-for-privacy@fluvius.co.uk says...

like this http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101883&ts=59081&id=47264
Next time you are putting hardboard on a wooden floor get one of the cheap-ish electric nailers from Screwfix and use lots of 15 mm pins.

I did mine rough side up, edges butted tight together, nailed at 9" centres all round the edge, an inch in & with the middle nailed at 9" centres too. I taped the seams with duct tape which should not show through.
Oh, and buy your hardboard from a builders' merchant, not that gloss faced cardboard you get in the sheds that wont hold a nail.
--
fred

It's also best to wet it before putting it down, that way it swells before nailing and then contracts. If not, any moisture it picks up from the air will cause it to swell and can make the edges lift.
Mike