Frozen fridge

Hi all,

I have an Indesit fridge that is far to cold. I am assuming the thermostat is not working correctly and have ordered a new one. It has suddenly dawned on me that it might not be a simple job to do. Has anyone changed a thermostat and is it straightforward to do ?

Thanks

André

Reply to
Andre

Yes, I have changed one - but how difficult probably varies greatly from make and model to make and model.

Typically, it is just a switch block with push-on connectors and a long thin brass tube with maybe a short section of thicker brass tube on the end.

The electrickery bit is easy if the new switch block is identical - just put the connectors on the equivalent tags.

One tricky bit can be routing the new brass tube along the path of the old one - so the end of it goes where the end of the old one used to. It is the end of the tube that senses the temperature. You can only bend, or worse, re-bend, the tube so much before it gets damaged.

The fridge I have at the moment (must be 15+ years old) has two brass tubes - the original and the replacement I fitted. It would have been so difficult removing the old one, I just drilled a couple of new holes in the fridge body (well, melted them with a quick push of a hot soldering iron) and ran the new brass tube through those so that it ended up at the same place. Then filled up the space around the pipe, where it went through the holes, with some expanded polystyrene jammed in and trimmed off. Works fine.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Thanks for that Sue. I am sure it will be ok.

Regards

Andre

Reply to
Andre

My fridge froze but it turned out to be that the the wire into the frost compartment at the top of the fridge that must maintain the freezer temprature control had dropped out of the freezer compartment and dropped into the fridge itself . Thus the fridge was pemanantly on and froze up all the time. i pushed the wire up into the freezer compartment and now all is well.

Reply to
grom-it