Fireplace trims removal

I want to replace a gas fire. However whoever put the previous fire in seems to have stuck the trims of the fire down with silicone sealant or some other glue. The trims are attached to slate/marble which I don`t want to damage.

I have made an initial attempt with scrapers to try to prise the trims off but with no success. I have seen a tool in screwfix

and was wondering if this might do the job.

Also if anyone knows anything I could use to help break up the sealant/glue, this would have to something which is fairly runny to allow it to seep into the sealant, also I don`t want it to damage the slate/marble tiles (I know this is a hard ask)

Reply to
data

If it is silicone, you can get a silicone removal gel, which fits into a normal mastic gun, and 'digests' the silicone. Bloody messy though. Can you not carefully slide a Stanley blade through the silicone? If it's glue, then you are probably stuffed!

Reply to
John Whitworth

> and was wondering if this might do the job.

Trim removal tools are for unhooking and levering car clips out of the car's metal work. I would guess it's no good for what you want. I have used a very sharp flat knife (a sort of pallet knife with a sharp edge we got from Sainsburys) to slide into the gap and cut the silicone, then much easier to use a stanley knife blade as a scraper to clean the surface. Another tip - Use the kitchen knife early in the morning when the wife is still asleep.......

Reply to
Chewbacca