Filty Celling Void

Hi,
I am trying to put some recessed spot lights up in my kitchen, I have eventually got to the ceiling void via my bathroom floorboards and the void is absolutely filthy with muck and dust!! Is it worth me cleaning this mess up before I put the lights in? and if so what with? Maybe an industrial vac?? I was thinking that leaving it there could be a potential fire risk? and thought that the dust will just get disturbed eveytime I change one of the bulbs (not very often hopefully!!)
Any thoughts?
Thanks Jamie

Just brush the debris away from the hole. the fire risk comes from making holes in the ceiling. If thats a concern then try to preserve the fire break of the ceiling using something like:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?idw993&tsc851
or
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?idi976&tsc893
or
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id '270&tsd032
or alternatively make a plasterboard/ plasterboard adhesive box around the back of the fittings.
Also you might risk getting more noise from the bathroom audible in the kitchen if you dont take care.