Earthing problem

I have an underground cable controlling a water pump which supplies my house , The cable is armoured. Is it necessary to earth the metal armour protection? Blair

Reply to
Blair

If it's underground, it's already earthed no? As in, in contact with the earth.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

What is a power ring?

What is a reference Earth?

I see no difference in an armoured cable powered from directly from an MCB in a CU or from a fused spur from a final ring circuit. The armoured strands either supply the earth (an incorrect name I know but it is one people feel comfortable with) or one of the cores in the SWA supplies the earth (assuming you are exporting the earth). If one of the cores is used as earth then it is perfectly reasonable to connect the brass lug on the gland to the earth cable in the SWA to earth the steel strands.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

IMBW, but I think the concern was that the OP might have meant to connect the earth conductor within the cable to the brass lugs on the glands at each end of it - and to nothing else. Thus leaving the lugs and the earth conductor not connected to anything else at all.

-- Sue

Reply to
Palindr☻me

I have a junction box in the garage which is fed from a spur in the garage ring main and is protected by an RCD. The supply is a three core cable I have used a correctly sized armoured gland with a brass earth tag which is connected to the earth from the supply cable At the other end a similar brass tag is used which earths the armour to the box. So the system is at present earthed correctly. If I did use a plastic box I assume that the brass earth tag should be connected to the supply earth wire for full protection Blair

Reply to
Blair

Perfect.

Adam