Earth leakage circuit breaker problems

I recently finished a job started 18 months ago to fit an electric shower. The wiring was done by my now ill father-in-law, and I merely attached the shower, fitted an earth leakage circuit breaker, and an isolating switch.
When I first tested it, everything seemed fine- I was then though told to fit this earth leakage circuit breaker- as soon the shower is now turned on, this trips off.
Any ideas as to what I nee to do?

You didn't provide anywhere near enough detail of the setup. However, you really need to get this installation checked out by a proper electrician, who will also do the fault-finding for you.
--
Andrew Gabriel

On 03 Aug 2005 10:22:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Water and electricity - a quick way to the exit door.
-- Jim "a single species has come to dominate ... reproducing at bacterial levels, almost as an infectious plague envelops its host" http://tinyurl.com/c88xs

If the circuit only trips when the shower is operating then it isn't likely to be a wirng fault. More likely a problem in the shower itself. Fit a new one.

Stating the obvious here. You must have a path from either the neutral or live feed down to the earth. In order of cost to fix/diagnose Look for trapped or abrased wiring first. No rubber grommets on metal boxes is a favourite. Look for poor ternimation into junctions as well.
Is the RCD a combined MCB/RCD is this correctly rated for the shower installed (is this an over current fault rather than an earth leakage).
Have a look and see if inside the fuse box that this is ternimated correctly.
Replace the RCD as sometimes (rarely) these can be dodgy.
But I guess as the guy before says. It looks like a shower unit fault itself.
Regards G