Earth leakage circuit breaker problems

I recently finished a job started 18 months ago to fit an electric shower. The wiring was done by my now ill father-in-law, and I merely attached the shower, fitted an earth leakage circuit breaker, and an isolating switch.

When I first tested it, everything seemed fine- I was then though told to fit this earth leakage circuit breaker- as soon the shower is now turned on, this trips off.

Any ideas as to what I nee to do?

Reply to
carlos

You didn't provide anywhere near enough detail of the setup. However, you really need to get this installation checked out by a proper electrician, who will also do the fault-finding for you.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Water and electricity - a quick way to the exit door.

-- Jim "a single species has come to dominate ... reproducing at bacterial levels, almost as an infectious plague envelops its host"

Jim Lawton

If the circuit only trips when the shower is operating then it isn't likely to be a wirng fault. More likely a problem in the shower itself. Fit a new one.

Reply to
Bob Watkinson

Stating the obvious here. You must have a path from either the neutral or live feed down to the earth. In order of cost to fix/diagnose Look for trapped or abrased wiring first. No rubber grommets on metal boxes is a favourite. Look for poor ternimation into junctions as well.

Is the RCD a combined MCB/RCD is this correctly rated for the shower installed (is this an over current fault rather than an earth leakage).

Have a look and see if inside the fuse box that this is ternimated correctly.

Replace the RCD as sometimes (rarely) these can be dodgy.

But I guess as the guy before says. It looks like a shower unit fault itself.

Regards G

Reply to
G Cadman