Does toilet pan need bedding?

I have removed the pan from a downstairs toilet to make tiling the floor easy. Question is when I re install it should it be bedded in something, if so what? Or does it simply stand on the tiles?

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

There is normally a hole each side of the pan, I always drill through and put in brass screws then seal around the base with silicone sealant (stops the drips from all party's from getting underneath & smelling) without the screws every big arse that lands on the pot will tend to make it wobble and displace it.

Reply to
Corporal Jones

How was it fixed before you removed it from the floor down stairs ?

If I remember toilet bowls are fixed with 2 brass screws on timber floors .Bedded on a bed of mortar on solid masonry floor. You'll soon find out when you use it when it tips to one side

Reply to
Kipper at sea

It was fixed by two steel screws (that had rusted away) to the original vinyl tiled floor and the PO had laid laminate over the vinyl badly cutting it around the pan and filling the gaps with some sort of mastic gunge. Not nice! The floor itself is concrete and I stripped all the old vinyl and laminate before laying the new ceramic tiles.

I have stainless steel screws to hold it back down but was wondering if I should bed it on something or just stand it on the new ceramic tiles before screwing it down.

I realised today that I might have a problem drilling the floor to take the new screws unless I can move the pan slightly away from the original location as the old rusted screws are buried in the concrete under my new tiles.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

_MASK_i?a63jfAD$z_ snipped-for-privacy@l34g2000pro.googlegroups.com...

Yes you have the right idea. Just be very careful not to over tighen the new screw as one turn to many will crack the base of the pan.

Reply to
Kipper at sea

_MASK_i?a63jfAD$z_ snipped-for-privacy@l34g2000pro.googlegroups.com...

Just to add a little bit of bedding under the base may help to take up any unevenes in the floor.

Reply to
Kipper at sea

Just to add a little bit of bedding under the base may help to take up any unevenes in the floor.

Using what?

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

snipped-for-privacy@k3g2000vbp.googlegroups.com...

ND_MASK_i?a63jfAD$__BEGIN_MASK_n#9g02mG7!__...__END_MASK_i?a63jfAD$z__@l34g=

2000pro.googlegroups.com...
1cement 2 soft or building sand. Not a sloppy mix, firm but not stiff. When beded and screwed down wipe surplus away with a damp cloth.
Reply to
Kipper at sea

If it is a normal pan held down with a couple of coach screws or similar, those will hold it fine if properly fitted.

If you're feeling enthusiastic you could bed it into silicone sealant, or "no more nails" but you don't need to.

Usual caveats about tightening any screws through sanitary ware apply - over-tighten them and there will be an expensive "crack" sound.

led

Reply to
Ledswinger

responding to

lisastar wrote: Great information! I would also put a sealer or cocking around the base.

lisastar

Kin ell. I just took a look at that thread via the link to home owners hub. How on earth do you put up with all that advertising and other crap. I am so please I found this newsgroup directly, I would have been long gone if I had to sift through all that dross.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike