Does this laser measurer exist?

I am looking for a laser measurer that will measure the distance between two balls in the game of Petanque (French boules). The balls are about 3ins in diameter and made of steel - so quite heavy. The maximum distance would be about 5 or 6ft but the minimum is down to an inch or two, the smaller the better.
All the laser measurers I have looked at seem to have a minimum measure of around two or three feet. Also, a roller type will not do because of the softness of the terrain.
Obviously, it needs to be economically priced and pretty accurate.
Does anyone know of one that might fill the bill?
Eric

Good grief that's one serious game of boules!! Whats wrong with the tried and trusted mefhod of a magnet on a piece of string or even a tape measure? If a laser device does (cost effectively for this purpose) exsist, what's to stop the measurer either putting a finger in the way or a finger between device and jack to make the distance shorter?
Cheers
John
John
That's a very speedy reply and a very credible question but what you perhaps don't realise is that most of our team (and many of those we play) are all getting a bit ancient and very creaky in the joints! Constantly bending down taking measurements is not our favourite part of the game, particularly if you have arthritis in your back!
The less fit amongst us can use a magnet to pick up the boules but, unfortunately, not to measure them!
Eric

in
be
the
of
measure?
On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 16:11:29 +0100, Cire wrote:

=================================I don't know about a laser but I would be inclined to make up a few sets of giant calipers to do the measuring. Something like this *design* but made from wood and much longer (about 3') so that they could be used without bending down:
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ted-kyte.com/3D/Pictures/Calipers%2520Inside.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ted-kyte.com/3D/List-Measuring.htm&h $0&w20&sz&hl=en&start=0&tbnid=oztfLQjeeTaO_M:&tbnh3&tbnw7&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcalipers%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG
Maybe such a thing already exists for other sports such as curling?
Cic.
--
Using Ubuntu Linux
Cire wrote: