Dishwasher salt deposits

Our dishwasher has started leaving a film of salt on cutlery, showing as a dull coating and rust spots. It has been happening since I topped up the salt.
I undoubtedly spilled some in topping up the reservoir but it has been run enough times for any spillage to wash though. I have checked that the lid of the salt reservoir is properly closed. Any other suggestions?
Chris R

This may sound like a daft one, but do you live in a hard water area? You only need salt with hard water - it will cause blotching if you use salt with soft water.
--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Woody wrote:

You beat me to it. I also live in a soft water area (Cheshire) and have never put salt into the dishwasher because it is purely a water softening agent - and if your water is soft - you don't need it. In fact, most dishwasher tablets today are these '4-in1' type that includes water softener anyway...
I have used around four bags of dishwasher salt over Christmas - for de-icing my driveway! Works a treat!
--
Kev

I got away with one bag, by getting a good spread using a home-made broadcaster in the form of a coffee-jar with four 3-4mm holes in the lid (my DW salt is crystalline, I suspect that for powdered or granular salt slightly smaller holes would be better).