Dishwasher salt deposits

Our dishwasher has started leaving a film of salt on cutlery, showing as a dull coating and rust spots. It has been happening since I topped up the salt.

I undoubtedly spilled some in topping up the reservoir but it has been run enough times for any spillage to wash though. I have checked that the lid of the salt reservoir is properly closed. Any other suggestions?

Chris R

Reply to
Chris R

This may sound like a daft one, but do you live in a hard water area? You only need salt with hard water - it will cause blotching if you use salt with soft water.

Reply to
Woody

You beat me to it. I also live in a soft water area (Cheshire) and have never put salt into the dishwasher because it is purely a water softening agent - and if your water is soft - you don't need it. In fact, most dishwasher tablets today are these '4-in1' type that includes water softener anyway...

I have used around four bags of dishwasher salt over Christmas - for de-icing my driveway! Works a treat!

Reply to
Ret.

Reply to
Java Jive