Dishwasher and Washing Machine on same switch

Hi,
Can I wire my dishwasher and washing machine to be powered off the same switch (i.e. the switch that is above the worktop to isolate power to the equipment) or do they have to have seperate switches?
Thanks,
Toby.

As they could be both used at the same time then you will have to have an seperate socket/switch for each appliance, not a double socket two single ones as the current drawn when both are heating will exceed the 13 amp rating of a double socket. Trevor

dishwasher and washing machine is over 20 amps then it would be better to try and have two switches and 2 single sockets. I realise that tiles etc will make this difficult but it would be a better option.
Adam