Condensing boiler: how noisy?

We have a very old Baxi backboiler at present and are thinking of changing is for a wall mounted condensing boiler. The only acceptable position for this seems to be in the airing cupboard once the hot-water cylinder has been removed. We have bedrooms at both sides of the airing cupboard and are wondering whether the noise produced by these boilers would be acceptable in such a location.
I would be very interested to hear from someone with a condensing boiler in an airing cupboard or anyone with a view on the subject.

Could you use the loft?
Adam
Thanks Adam; yes we've thought of the loft but think it would be better for us to have it in a location that's easier to get at (not getting any younger). We've also had some bad experiences over the years with leaking boiler pipes and would be a bit nervious not being able to keep an eye on it. Geoff.

Earlier this year, I took the old central heating water and hot water combined tank out and asked the gas fitter to come and give me a price for installing a Baxi Combi boiler 105HD I think the number is. He wanted to put it back in the cupboard the old tank was in. I objected on the grounds that it was too far away from the bathroom and the kitchen and told him that I wanted it in the bedroom on the wall adjoining the bathroom. Kitchen is under the bathroom. Reasons for this was: Cold water feed was right below where I wanted boiler, Hot water pipe was also present and he could use the old 22mm copper pipe form the cupboard for the gas supply, because the gas supply was under the cupboard but downstairs with easy access to the upstairs. Job done to my satisfaction with the flue going up through the bedroom ceiling and out of the roof. We have not had any undue noise from it at all. Yes, you can hear it kick into action but I wouldn't say that it disturbs my sleep.
--
the_constructor

Hi Geoff - we got a new Glow-worm condensing boiler (3o CXi I think off the top off my head) put in a year ago with new central heating - got a couple of quotes etc from different companies. Most of them wanted to just rip out the old boiler from the kitchen and put the new boiler in our spare bedroom/workroom and put the out-pipe through the wall by the window in that room. British Gas were the only company who came up with the far far better alternative (but a lot more work) of running it through the false ceiling in the downstairs bathroom and then out the wall (making sure it was positioned where the consensing 'steam' in winter would not drift past our windows in big clouds...). I literally have never heard the boiler make a noise at all. So my advice would be - make sure the company you get know what they're doing and consider very carefully the consequences of where they want to place the boiler (they want to do it as quickly and cheaply as possible for themselves - that might not be in your best interests) - British Gas weren't the cheapest, but they did a fantastic job with fantastic people (and I don't work for them either!!!!)
GeoffM wrote:

GeoffM wrote:

I have a 2 year old alpha boiler in my utility room. With the glass door shut I can hear only the faintest noise from the other side, the boiler is four feet from the door. It certainly wouldn't disturb/prevent me from getting to sleep.
Mike
Thank you all for your replies, they have been a great help. The consensus seems to be that noise is not an issue. Thanks again... regards to all Geoff.