click from boiler

noticed today a loud click from my boiler (Apollo) read it might be short of water? is this automatically fed? all I know is above the boiler - a few inches - is a pipe going into the ceiling, one of 3, but this one looks as though you could attach a hose to it - is this to drain it or fill it etc.
any info appreciated im a electrical/mechanical tech by trade, so just need some info
thanks

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/plumbingpage1.html
HTH
Adam