best cleaning agent to clean a carpet

We recently moved house and the previous owners had a dog and mucky kids (and beige carpets)..... I am interested to know on folks' tips on spot cleaning carpets.... ie. taking small localised stains out.. I have tried various some with limiting success.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Nick.

Reply to
Nick Dawson

We had a similar problem a few years ago. In the end it was cheaper (and easier) to get a professional carpet cleaner in to do all the carpets properly.

Reply to
ricardianno

I use hot soapy water or Astonish carpet shampoo or Bissell carpet shampoo, mixed with hot water in a bucket, applied with a sponge or brush. Stubborn stains may need several repeat treatments. I have removed mud, red wine stains, ink, black shoe polish, dog shit, cat sick, the lot.

Reply to
Codswallop

that sounds like a wild party.

Reply to