Advice needed - Expensive Plumbing Bill

Page 2 of 2

I know, I have sort of a Baxi Boiler in my attic. All of those jobs gone ...
Mr Pounder

IIR TI bought out the Bamber Bridge crew then like Range Boilers near me shut it down and kept the brand name. Progress!! Still loads of old Bermuda's in Gtr Mcr but good old British Gas will not service them any more saying they do not comply with current regulations,(don't ask!)
CJ

I went back after 40 years and was 100% lost.... no satnav. My old home was still there, I managed to find Taylor Street. It seemed so narrow after all of those years. Everybody I knew had gone, or died.
Mr Pounder

Tony&Debs wrote: <snip>

</snip>
You should call the local council, tell them the tale, and ask them why he was recommended.
Or possibly tell the plumber this is what you are going to do...
Andy

Yep, if it was Trading Standards or similar who recommended them from their "Buy With Confidence" type scheme, let them know that you found their recommendation to be wanting! If you don't tell them, things won't improve.

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/after_you_buy/making-complaint/template-letters/consumer_protection_regs/
I can see this refers to a contract. But normally would you enter into a contract with a plumber? You call him out and he just does what he thinks he will.
I would have thought that maybe you could get an independent assesment of a *fair* charge for what was done and then go to the small claims court?? Maybe citizens advice would know how to go about this?
[Default] On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 16:15:29 -0000, a certain chimpanzee,
wrote:

Are you in a council house or some form of social housing? If not, which department gave you the name of a plumber? Was it a 'recommendation', or just some bod trying to be helpful by giving a name from the Yellow Pages?
--
Hugo Nebula
Hugo Nebula wrote:

Many councils have a scheme like this (picked as highest google hit)
http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/community/trusted_trader/
Andy