Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Door Bell
Long run 3rd floor 30m need a wired door bell that will work ok over this type of run mains or battery but not with buzz bar transformer. Oyeah with a ding dong sound. Chris
19
19

Fault on baxi boiler
Hi All, Got up this morning an a neon was flashing on the boiler saying fault on fan or flue. Is this serious? T.I.A. Micky Leeds uk
3
3

Boiler noise
My new Bosch Worcester combi boiler has a high pitched whine when running. Does it mean anything or can I ignore it? Thnaks Jb
6
6

Moving a Gas Meter
Can anyone advise on moving a gas meter. The minimum distance we need it moved is 1m (unless it has to go outside these days). I am very unhappy with the way companies like Transco charge about £1100...
5
5

OT: Going Rate?
My brother and myself have just refitted his kitchen and it is now ready for tiling. Neither of us are confident with tiling and as my brother says "Tiling makes a kitchen look right or sh*te!" There...
5
5

Painting outdoor floor tiles
I have a small area of floor tiles on a broad step just outside my front door. They have a slightly rough surface, coloured pale brown. I would like to paint them black if possible, and I need advice...
1
1

Screwfix website and Trojans
Every time I visit the Screwfix website my 'Spyware Doctor' software tells me that Screwfix has put Trojan.lop_com on my pc. Anyone else found this? Ret.
21
21

Slimpak Cistern
I have to replace a 30+ year old Slimpak low level cistern. The measurements are Height 330mm Width 565mm and Depth 115mm. The height and width are not too critical but the depth is, otherwise the...
3
3

OT: Anyone with a Whirlpool fridge / freezer
Apologies for being OT. Does anyone on here own a Whirlpool fridge freezer? Basically, I have purchased a 70/30 fridge freezer but it didn't come with an instruction manual. In the fridge there is...
16
16

Low pressure
I want to fit a new shower but the water flow is quite poor. I have seen a suitable shower so that's OK but I'm unsure about the isolation valves. Do the modern quarter turn valves restrict...
9
9

Well well.
I have been told there is an old well in our back yard. This got me thinking that I could drop a pump down it and use the water for garden watering, vehicle washing, pressure washing the paths etc and...
22
22

plasterboard
hi i have plasterboarded a ceiling and there are some gaps and due to twisted beams some slight uneven surfaces is it acceptable to use plasterboard adhesive to fill in the gaps and uneven surfaces...
3
3

Any mould experts out there?
For the last six months my friend has been hearing water gushing noises from next door's property when they have their central heating on. The noises stop when the heating is turned off. The...
6
6

daylight bulbs
Wife spotted some "Daylight bulbs" in Pearsons and was very taken with the idea - £3.50 for a 60W bulb. I am very skeptical, and suspect they've taken some ordinary bulbs and sprayed them blue....
6
6

Best french doors for garden studio/workshop
I'm having an artists workshop built in tanelised timber - shiplap on a concrete base. I have a company supplying and building the wooden building but would love advice about where to get some...
1
1