Latest threads in Do-It-Yourself Homeownershow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Ideas for fixing blinds?
Hi I've bought 4 IKEA ISDANS roller blinds for double glazed windows about 100cm wide Thing is, I'd like to attach the blinds directly to the windows themselves to allow me to open the windows fully...
1
1

instructions for greenbrook 7 day immersion heater timer t23b-h
------------------------------------- hi just moved into a rented flat it has underfloor heating which is controlled by a greenbrook timer, turned it on about last week and it worked fine, turned it...
1
1

Latching RCD
Hi, I've got an RCD plug from Screwfix ( that I'm using to provide power to my fish tank. However I want one that latches so that if the power fails when I'm not there the plug will restore power to...
3
3

Cistern problems
Hi, I've had a toilet installed by some bathroom fitters a few weeks ago and I flushed it this morning and the cistern didn't stop refilling with the water just running into the toilet bowl. After a...
8
8

replacing double glazed units
I want to replace a couple of my windows which are misted up. So in order to avoid appearing a total amateur[1] I need to know - How to order the units, ie are they specified as total thickness of the...
2
2

Wiring two devices witha common neutral
I have a remote water pump which I connected to the mains via a cable which I acquired from a friend which has 4 wires. After the pump had been working for some time I decided to fit a 13amp socket...
4
4

Black & Decker GR360 (Stripemaster) lawnmower
Hi I have an old but trusty B&D GR360 lawnmowr which has given great service Just hit something solid and now the black plastic fan unit above the blade, which produces the suction, is badly cracked,...
2
2

Weeds/moss and block paving.
Some years ago I decided to replace my poor-condition concrete driveway and after pondering the alternatives, I went for block paving. I did consider patterned concrete - but I've seen so many of...
14
14

Cutting glass mosaics
I'm fitting some glass mosaic tiles 20mm x 20mm and some need to be cut. What is the best way to do this, I have diamond files to clean up cut afterwards? Richard

Sticking cement to cement / bricks
I have a brick gatepost and the top three rows of bricks and cap have come off. The part that's come off holds a metal gate retainer, so I suspect that possibly the gate has been slammed hard or...
9
9

RCD tripping ?
I have a private water supply which is pumped up to my house. Very occasionally the RCD trips and I usually just rest it. However it now trips almost every day and although I reset it I am concerned...
8
8

carpet on wall?
Just repairing a section of good old painted woodchip that the cats have scratched to bits, and I'm thinking - they'll destroy new paper just as quickly, I've got plenty of carpet offcuts handy, any...
8
8

Bristan 1901 tap - replacement button!
Hi guys, I have a beautiful Belfast sink with Bristan 1901 taps. Unfortunately, a workman while cleaning his plaster bucket and tools smacked the top of the hot tap and shattered the enamel button. I...
3
3

Expand opening in load bearing wall
I am finishing my basement. There is a Load bearing wall with an existing 34" rough opening. The lentil is a sandwiched 2x8. I want expand the opening to 62" to accomodate a double door. Is sandwiched...

Sealing a shower
I have a shower cubicle, about seven years old, lined with laminated waterproof boards instead of tiles. The joins between boards are metal joining strips, and the joins with the shower door are...
2
2