240v dichroic suddenly shining bright

I was doing some work in a new shower room today, it's got two 240 downlights in it. Normally 240v a bit yellow compared to a 12v. I accidentally knocked one with a tall piece of board and noticed shortly after that the room suddenly seemed brighter. Now the fitting I knocked is whacking out a brilliant white light! What would have caused this to happen, and is the lamp liable to burn out now??

Reply to
AJH

A loop of the filament got shorted out, so the lamp is being over-run. Yes, it will burn out much faster. But more seriously, it's now running at higher power rating than stamped on the bulb, and this might be more than the fitting and neighbouring building materials can safely withstand without danger of damage or fire. You should take the bulb out and chuck it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

cheers I thought that might be the case

Reply to